DSS Wing Nipple vs. Traditional STA wingnut?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phocus

Reaction score
Looking to purchase my first BP/W setup and have been researching past threads on this forum. What do you think of the DSS no STA design and rubber nipple wing attachments? I've only seen a Halcyon setup in the LDS, finish and quality was outstanding. How do DSS backplates compare with edge finishing, as well as overall finish for the backplates?

Thanks

Don't know about the wing nipple but I have a DSS SS Long, a Hollis SS and a DR SS bp and use Apeks, Hollis and Hog wings, doubles and singles interchangeably....Will be trying a DSS wing soon as well as a Kydex bp...All the bp's are well made and I tend to use the DSS more because of the longer size, but like the xtra slots in the Hollis.....

Looking to purchase my first BP/W setup and have been researching past threads on this forum. What do you think of the DSS no STA design and rubber nipple wing attachments? I've only seen a Halcyon setup in the LDS, finish and quality was outstanding. How do DSS backplates compare with edge finishing, as well as overall finish for the backplates?

Thanks

The rubber locators on a DSS wing are not intended to attach the wing to the plate. The cambands and tank are what secure the wing to the plate.

The rubber locators simply keep the wing aligned to the plate while you close the cambands.

The advantage of this approach is the ease with which you can remove the wing from the plate. Separating the wing from the plate for transport storage and cleanup reduces the risk of the plate damaging the wing.

Tobin

I personally would go with a SS wingnut. Rubber will degrade over time whereas the stainless will not. Just a thought.

I personally would go with a SS wingnut. Rubber will degrade over time whereas the stainless will not. Just a thought.

The DSS locators are easily replaced, and they are simply a convenience item. It's quite possible to dive without them, it just requires a bit more attention when setting up the gear.

Tobin

Some other manufacturers, besides DSS, also have a no-STA design. Some of those manufacturers suggest book screws (which you can put on and take off easily by hand) to hold the wing in place. But as with DSS, the wing is securely locked down by the tank cam bands. If you don't find the DSS rubber plugs secure enough (with my setup, the top one is useless), you can also use the book screws with the DSS wing.

Thanks

As background, I have a DSS rig with a stainless plate, and I also have an STA and an Oxycheq wing. Before buying my own gear, I rented a Halcyon Eclipse for a two-week dive trip.

Looking to purchase my first BP/W setup and have been researching past threads on this forum. What do you think of the DSS no STA design and rubber nipple wing attachments?

I think it's a great design. The rubber tank cradle holds the tank very securely, and the open cam-band slots allow one to strip the wing from the plate in a jiffy, which makes it trival to store the wing on top of your gear bag while the plate lives on the bottom. It's also really handy for rinsing the wing (which has nothing attached to it anymore).

I did manage to break one of the rubber nipples (probably my fault on a lurching boat), but as Tobin mentioned, they are there more for convenience than necessity. It really posed no problem for the rest of that dive trip (numerous dives). I called Tobin later and he sent me two new ones, gratis.

A couple of other things I like about the wing are the outer shell fabric, which seems tough but is also supple (it stows flat), and the fabric mesh drainage vents which are right on the bottom of the wing (my Oxycheq wing has brass grommets and they are close to the bottom but not right on the bottom, so it does not drain as well).

I've only seen a Halcyon setup in the LDS, finish and quality was outstanding. How do DSS backplates compare with edge finishing, as well as overall finish for the backplates?

I agree that the Halcyon fit and finish are quite nice. I would say that the DSS is every bit as good. The fit and finish on my DSS plate are beautiful (and I'm fussy). I did wonder before I ordered, because for some reason to me the DSS website plate photos made it look a bit rougher (the finish had a galvanized look to me even though I knew the plate was stainless steel), but I went ahead and I have zero complaints in this area -- it's a very nicely made plate.

A few DSS plate features I like:

a) The plates come in five sizes (S, M, L, XL, Long) (I needed a small)
b) There are rubber inserts at the slots which hold the webbing and presumably keep it from wearing as easily
c) The shoulder slots are angled
d) The bottom corners are rounded

One more note on the plate is that the center "rib" is lower profile than many plates (definitely than the Halcyon), so the tank rides a bit closer to your back. This should make for a better, less "tippy" experience, but on the other hand the Halcyon plate "rib" leaves room to stow an SMB there (I have never actually done this, so not sure how well it works, but they do sell an SMB stowage pocket that fits there).

Since I got a bit wordy, to summarize my answers to your main questions:

1) Fit and finish of plate are excellent
2) Rubber tank cradle works well
3) Open cam band slot design is a great feature, IMO.

Blue Sparkle

I did wonder before I ordered, because for some reason to me the DSS website plate photos made it look a bit rougher (the finish had a galvanized look to me even though I knew the plate was stainless steel), but I went ahead and I have zero complaints in this area -- it's a very nicely made plate.

Blue Sparkle

Exactly, I thought the same thing from the photos I've seen of the DSS plates.

I'm really liking all the positive DSS feedback. How are the flatter DSS plates for diving doubles? Are they optimized for single tank diving and sacrificing just a tad for doubles setups?

I notice the the corrugated inflator hose is mounted in the top center of the wing, are there advantages to that?

With a flatter BP, are there any problems with occasionally bumping your head on the tank valve?

Any concerns not having a zipper on the DSS Torus wing?

Thanks again for the informative repsonses!

The flatter plate is fine, as long as you are not short. If you are short, you might want the tank further from your body so you don't hit your head or your butt on it--a concern unless you're diving very short tanks (eg, shorty MP72's). If this is a concern, a less flat plate won't really help you by itself; you'd need to go with an STA as well in order to get the tank away from your body a bit. You can use an STA with the DSS setup (either simply extend the STA over the plastic roll control device, or use a two piece STA). No big problem, but you would be losing some of the innovative aspects of the DSS single tank rig, which is designed for no STA diving.

Flattness of the plate is a nonissue with doubles, at least at first thought--the backplate spine is pretty much a nonissue in a modern doubles rig; DSS plates work as good as any with doubles.

I don't like having the corrugated hose elbow valve in the center because it clinks up against my regulator and creates incredible clutter at that center point. With some configurations, that elbow valve will clink up against the tank itself. For venting air, however, the center mount is obviously most efficient, esp in conjuction with the shape of the top of the DSS wing.

No zipper is your call. You can always go with an LCD, which has the zipper.

Overall, the DSS stuff is top shelf, at least to me.

Exactly, I thought the same thing from the photos I've seen of the DSS plates.

I'm really liking all the positive DSS feedback. How are the flatter DSS plates for diving doubles? Are they optimized for single tank diving and sacrificing just a tad for doubles setups?

I notice the the corrugated inflator hose is mounted in the top center of the wing, are there advantages to that?

With a flatter BP, are there any problems with occasionally bumping your head on the tank valve?

Any concerns not having a zipper on the DSS Torus wing?

Thanks again for the informative repsonses!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom