DUI 400g - Still King of the Hill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't really see where anybody on this thread tried to come across as any sort of "expert".

I wasn't referring to this thread.

Care to let everybody else know?

Basically what I said before. The DUI 400g is still the suit for the WKPP. However, some divers do use some layering. Apparently, without problems even in a flood.

However, the DUI 400g is still the king of the hill for the WKPP and the TLS350 is still the suit of choice. After this weekend, I have a much better understanding of why on both items.
I'd love to hear why. Always on the search for knowledge...:D

FYI: DUI's 400G thinsulate undergarment has been using the Type B Thinsulate for at least the alst 10 years.

"Layering" your 400G is a good way to extend it's life. You need to put a wicking layer (one of the Polypro's, I like Marmot with the anti-microbial- it eventually gets funky, but it does take longer) under it, so that you aren't filling it up with sweat every time you use it. 400G is essentially un-launderable, and if you want to get the longest life out of it you won't even attempt to launder it. The base layer is launderable, and reduces the funkiness factor.

WKPP folks have been using base layers under 400G for at least the last 10 years as well.

I'd love to hear why. Always on the search for knowledge...:D

The 400g was not nearly as heavy and stiff as I had imagined it would be. It's warmth is legendary, but many feel it is unwieldy and stiff. I guess it depends on what you get used to. There is enough evidence to show that it still insulates remarkably well even when flooded, and even in cold water. I could see how someone would not want to leave this solution. For a diver for whom hypothermia is a real risk, I'd feel very comfortable with this option.

Before I bought my drysuit, I had a chance to hold a few different makes and models in my hand, but only got to try one brand in the water. I had spoken to JJ at some length about why the WKPP (and so many others) chose the TLS350. I had also talked to a number of wreck divers who felt the suit was inadequate protection on the wrecks they dove, as they were getting many small pinholes that needed to be repaired. I made the choice to go with a cordura suit instead.

Trying the TLS350 was a revelation. Compared to my suit, it felt like wearing nothing. It was extremely light and flexible. Donning was a bit harder than with my own suit, but certainly I could manage it alone if necessary. It swam like a dream. It vented well even with me wearing a 400g underneath it. It was very easy to see why this suit would be so preferable. If I ever buy a suit for just caving, this will be top of the list.

WKPP folks have been using base layers under 400G for at least the last 10 years as well.

Yep, that's basically the story I got. Seems to make sense for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Keeping body oils out of the suit would seem paramount to it's effectiveness and longevity. But if I was facing a 25 hour dive, I think I'd buy a new one "just to be sure"!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts chickdiver.

Heather, last year you posted about how you are now using the Xerotherm Arctic. Is that still the case one year later or have you gone back to the 400g DUI?

Heather, last year you posted about how you are now using the Xerotherm Arctic. Is that still the case one year later or have you gone back to the 400g DUI?

Haven't worn the 400G since I got the Xerotherm. I still have it, but haven't worn it. Brian has a new set of 400G (still with tags) for sale.....

FYI: DUI's 400G thinsulate undergarment has been using the Type B Thinsulate for at least the alst 10 years.

"Layering" your 400G is a good way to extend it's life. You need to put a wicking layer (one of the Polypro's, I like Marmot with the anti-microbial- it eventually gets funky, but it does take longer) under it, so that you aren't filling it up with sweat every time you use it. 400G is essentially un-launderable, and if you want to get the longest life out of it you won't even attempt to launder it. The base layer is launderable, and reduces the funkiness factor.

And what type of Thinsulate was used for DUI undergarment more than 10 years ago?
I have seen DUI Thinsulate undergarment of 1995 year of manufacture and the tags said "35-50 degree jump suit" and nothing about material density.

And what type of Thinsulate was used for DUI undergarment more than 10 years ago?
I have seen DUI Thinsulate undergarment of 1995 year of manufacture and the tags said "35-50 degree jump suit" and nothing about material density.

I don't know. I bought my first set of 400G in 1997 (back when it had a black outer shell, no quilting and a stripe of red "DUI" tape down each sleeve from the shoulder). At that time it was Type B Thinsulate, just like it is now. Type B is the same kind used in boots- it is a wax coated, essentially non compressible, hydrophobic fiber. IT's been a round for a long time, so I suspect that even prior to 1997 that is waht DUI was using, however, I can't say that definitively.

I always find it odd that people place so much stock into what the WKPP is doing and try to apply their practices and choices into their own diving. Its nice to know and certainly helpful but wouldn't you look at what people are diving in the area that you are going to?
The great lakes in the spring would be colder than anything you'd find in Florida or the west coast during any season. I've also heard from a great lakes diver that the exotherm is terrible for cold water (41F)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom