DUI 400g - Still King of the Hill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can certainly understand the desire for launderability. That is my MAIN beef with the Thinsulate suits. I know they wash, but I also know they will be treated as expendables because you can't wash them and have them remain as effective. Were this not the case, I would just go with the 400g and have no worries.

My only reservation about the Extreme+ is how it will work on deco in the Great Lakes. If I had enough anecdotal evidence that it was fine, I'd be all over it.

I can certainly understand the desire for launderability. That is my MAIN beef with the Thinsulate suits. I know they wash, but I also know they will be treated as expendables because you can't wash them and have them remain as effective. Were this not the case, I would just go with the 400g and have no worries.

My only reservation about the Extreme+ is how it will work on deco in the Great Lakes. If I had enough anecdotal evidence that it was fine, I'd be all over it.
The guy that I said poo-pooed the Arctic on the Jodrey usually wears the Extreme+ and was wearing it on our Halifax dives (39deg F on the bottom).

The guy that I said poo-pooed the Arctic on the Jodrey usually wears the Extreme+ and was wearing it on our Halifax dives (39deg F on the bottom).

Jeff, I know several people who wear the plus in cold waters and LOVE it. However, I don't know anyone who's said they've flooded it and faced deco. I expect this garment to last 2-3 years and in that time I hope to be doing dives like the Jodrey or the Kamloops. May not happen, but it's a goal. And given that, I'd like to know that the garment is up to it if the worst should happen.

Jeff, I know several people who wear the plus in cold waters and LOVE it. However, I don't know anyone who's said they've flooded it and faced deco. I expect this garment to last 2-3 years and in that time I hope to be doing dives like the Jodrey or the Kamloops. May not happen, but it's a goal. And given that, I'd like to know that the garment is up to it if the worst should happen.
FWIW...I have flooded it and it was not that much different than my 400gm DUI's flooded. Its not like it is cotten fleece.

Hmm ok. That's one data point. Maybe I can gather a few others and talk myself into trying it. Do you use the Weezle booties as well?

I don't do deco and I certainly don't flood by suit :)D) but I know my recreational wreck instructor (ppo2_diver) does regular deco diving in the GLs and he dives the Extreme+. That's good enough for me. But if you have a concern about how it performs when wet he's someone I suggest you contact if you haven't already.

If you are only looking at a life expectancy of 2-3 years then just buy the DUI 400G and be done with it. If you don't launder it EVERY time you wear it (and you won't need to) it will easily last that long, especially if you aren't using it every weekend.

Some tips to help keep extend life and keep it from getting too funky:

1. Store it in doors (NOT the garage). You live in Florida, the Type B Thinsulate is a wax coated fiber. If it gets hot, the wax coating starts to degrade and the fibers will separate, leaving you with "dead" spots.

2. Store it flat, NOT hanging. Again, the weight of the suit itself will elave you with dead spots near the shoulders if it spends lots of time on a hanger. The quilting helps, but this will still happen.

3. After use turn it inside out and let it air out. You can also sprinkle it with a little baking soda and let it sit for a couple of days then shake it out real good (or vacuum it). I know people who also used Febreeze, but I was leery of using any sort of unknown chemicals on it.

4. When you do have to wash it, use cold water, gentle cycle, and NO SOAP. If you can soak it in a bathtub, even better. Let it dry flat.

5. Use a base layer.

No, I use winter boot liners. Might be tough to find in Florida :wink:

Not really, I have two sets. I didn't always live in FL, and I like to ski. My problem is my winter boot liners won't fit down into my drysuit socks. The stiff seam that allows them to stand rigidly in the boots keeps them from making the bend at the heel of the dive sock.

Maybe I could force it.

Not really, I have two sets. I didn't always live in FL, and I like to ski. My problem is my winter boot liners won't fit down into my drysuit socks. The stiff seam that allows them to stand rigidly in the boots keeps them from making the bend at the heel of the dive sock.

Maybe I could force it.
I have turbo soles and mine do not have a problem fitting. The only problem that I seem to have is that they get left behind in the foot when I pull my legs out. LOL

They (boot liners) are way way warmer than the 400gm booties I have. Best thing I have done since I added drygloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom