DUI 400g - Still King of the Hill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you guys really find that you only get 2 to 3 years out of a Thinsulate undergarment? (And how many dives would that tend to be?)

I'm beginning to wonder if I need to replace my DC 200g jumpsuit. It's got something around 300 - 350 dives on it, and either the water's getting colder, I'm getting older, or it's not working as well as it used to . . .

I haven't replaced my 200G yet, but I do subjectively find that I need to add a vest to get the same amount of warmth that I used to get w/out the vest (oh, and the vest does wonders for my trim in doubles too :)

I may be looking to replace the 200G soon, but since all my measurements are subjective, dont want to fork out the $$$ and see no benefit.

Do you guys really find that you only get 2 to 3 years out of a Thinsulate undergarment? (And how many dives would that tend to be?)

I'm beginning to wonder if I need to replace my DC 200g jumpsuit. It's got something around 300 - 350 dives on it, and either the water's getting colder, I'm getting older, or it's not working as well as it used to . . .

After 3.5 years and ~300dives mine is gone, I'm freezing in it and using alot of argon to compensate (except down in Catalina where a flood is downright casual). I found a factory 2nd 400gm DUI to replace it with (hole in outer fabric). I'll save the DC200 gm for warmer CA, FL or MX waters.

After 3.5 years and ~300dives mine is gone, I'm freezing in it and using alot of argon to compensate (except down in Catalina where a flood is downright casual). I found a factory 2nd 400gm DUI to replace it with (hole in outer fabric). I'll save the DC200 gm for warmer CA, FL or MX waters.

Hey! I'll have you know we got down to 48F's this weekend in San Diego.
35 mins deco with a river of 48-50F water sloshing around inside my suit was pretty miserable, thinsulate or not.

Hey! I'll have you know we got down to 48F's this weekend in San Diego.
35 mins deco with a river of 48-50F water sloshing around inside my suit was pretty miserable, thinsulate or not.

Yeah but that deco was in 65F water! :pityparty::pityparty:

Mine was still 48F :lotsalove:

Golem Gear, Inc. - Q-Vest

:D

Yeah but that deco was in 65F water! :pityparty::pityparty:

Mine was still 48F :lotsalove:

Sadly not. 54-57 (yeah, still warmer than 48 but I was shaking almost uncontrollably by the time I managed to get back on the boat)

SD waters are generally colder than LA by some amount as far as I can tell.

Thank you sir. I'm anxious to hear Barry's report on his new Santi now! Hopefully he posts some pictures.

To be fair to the thing I'll really have to get a few dives in and see how it goes. I made the first dive with my BZ400 and my new Santi E-Space drysuit a couple of days ago so first impressions are in but that's about it.

The first issue is that the dive was not great - I was underweighted and struggling to stay down for most of the dive which also meant I had to keep the suit as empty as possible which hardly allowed it to perform at its best. So, I'll keep this first post to what I could realistically discover.

First, this undersuit is buoyant - I went from a 4mm neoprene with an (old and worn 200g) undersuit to the trilam with the BZ400 - I added 3kg extra weight to be on the safe side and still had to fight to stay down. I'll put another couple of kilos on tomorrow and try it again. Also, it's big - my harness clearly needs adjusting to accomodate the suit - I couldn't manage a valve drill in it but I think this was due to the fact that the harness was now too small and I was diving with a squeeze in the suit to keep buoyancy under control. So, probably a little soon to comment on freedom of movement in the suit.

The undersuit is certainly warm - I dived for 53 mins in 6 deg.C water and didn't feel remotely cold, even with minimal air in the drysuit.

The suit looks well made, and quite smart. The chest pocket is a nice touch. The only criticism is that the shoulder straps are a bit short - even at the longest adjustment they tend to pull the suit up uncomfortably tight in the crotch - but they can be happily left off for the dive anyway.

I'll post some more once I've got a few dives in and got everything sorted out and can give the thing a fair review.

I can certainly understand the desire for launderability. That is my MAIN beef with the Thinsulate suits. I know they wash, but I also know they will be treated as expendables because you can't wash them and have them remain as effective. Were this not the case, I would just go with the 400g and have no worries.

My only reservation about the Extreme+ is how it will work on deco in the Great Lakes. If I had enough anecdotal evidence that it was fine, I'd be all over it.

Perrone,
I've been using the Extreme+ (same set) since 2001 for Great Lakes and winter quarry diving. I like it. YMMV.

bob

The 400's and the Extreme+ must be close then because I consider my 400's the warmest underwear that I have. (They are also brand new) The Extreme+ are pretty close though.

I've dove both flooded (not on purpose LOL) and they both worked good.

Both undies I have used Ice diving. (water temp 33 deg F)

The Weezles do travel better though. They squish up into a smaller package.

I flooded my Extreme+ in sub 40F water, and was dang near hyperthermic by the time I got out of the water. The water running back and forth in my suit removed all signed of my manhood. The water inside my suit was above my knees when I stood up.

When you say you "flooded", was it a slow leak you found later, or did you have water running back and forth causing the privy parts to invert?

I still like (and use) my suit though.

Hmm ok. That's one data point. Maybe I can gather a few others and talk myself into trying it. Do you use the Weezle booties as well?

I use the Weezle booties (circa 2001) on cold dives when I want to guarantee that my feet stay warm. On warmer dives I use the DUI booties (circa 2000) cause they don't hold as much air in my feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom