DUI 400g - Still King of the Hill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm ok. That's one data point. Maybe I can gather a few others and talk myself into trying it. Do you use the Weezle booties as well?

I did not buy the Weezle booties. I currently use Smartwool socks underneath Bare CT200 booties and my feet have been fine. I'm going to stay with that combination for now.

Now this should be a sticky! Thanks Chickdiver, this is some great stuff. I turn my current thinsulate suit inside out for much the same reasons. I didn't even think about the coating on the fibers. I usually hang my suit out overnight.

Do you have any good tips for transporting the suit since you really don't want to ball it up or fold it up small?

And yes, I only expect it to last a few years. I've just resigned myself to seeing this as an expendable. I'll also have little use for it here in Florida, so I would only need it for trips to very cold water.

If you are only looking at a life expectancy of 2-3 years then just buy the DUI 400G and be done with it. If you don't launder it EVERY time you wear it (and you won't need to) it will easily last that long, especially if you aren't using it every weekend.

Some tips to help keep extend life and keep it from getting too funky:

1. Store it in doors (NOT the garage). You live in Florida, the Type B Thinsulate is a wax coated fiber. If it gets hot, the wax coating starts to degrade and the fibers will separate, leaving you with "dead" spots.

2. Store it flat, NOT hanging. Again, the weight of the suit itself will elave you with dead spots near the shoulders if it spends lots of time on a hanger. The quilting helps, but this will still happen.

3. After use turn it inside out and let it air out. You can also sprinkle it with a little baking soda and let it sit for a couple of days then shake it out real good (or vacuum it). I know people who also used Febreeze, but I was leery of using any sort of unknown chemicals on it.

4. When you do have to wash it, use cold water, gentle cycle, and NO SOAP. If you can soak it in a bathtub, even better. Let it dry flat.

5. Use a base layer.

I have turbo soles and mine do not have a problem fitting. The only problem that I seem to have is that they get left behind in the foot when I pull my legs out. LOL

They (boot liners) are way way warmer than the 400gm booties I have. Best thing I have done since I added drygloves.

I tested the 400g booties inside the turbosoles on a TLS350 this weekend. It was pretty tight getting even those in there. I couldn't imagine getting my bootliners in. I had a HEAVY set of bootliners (13mm with an extra 13mm on the sole) from my old Sorel boots (-100F rated) but bought some thinner Lacrosse ones 2 weeks ago. I may give that a while this coming weekend. I've just been wearing Smartwool or Wigwam wool socks and have been pleased.

I tested the 400g booties inside the turbosoles on a TLS350 this weekend. It was pretty tight getting even those in there. I couldn't imagine getting my bootliners in. I had a HEAVY set of bootliners (13mm with an extra 13mm on the sole) from my old Sorel boots (-100F rated) but bought some thinner Lacrosse ones 2 weeks ago.
Mine are smaller than the 13mm, but how much smaller?????? Until I get home, no way of telling.

I may give that a while this coming weekend. I've just been wearing Smartwool or Wigwam wool socks and have been pleased.
I started using the liners when we were doing 90+ min in 40 deg water. I was getting sick of having my feet feeling like blocks of ice. Which is not a nice feeling when having to walk up a hill with double 130's on.

Now this should be a sticky! Thanks Chickdiver, this is some great stuff. I turn my current thinsulate suit inside out for much the same reasons. I didn't even think about the coating on the fibers. I usually hang my suit out overnight.

Do you have any good tips for transporting the suit since you really don't want to ball it up or fold it up small?

And yes, I only expect it to last a few years. I've just resigned myself to seeing this as an expendable. I'll also have little use for it here in Florida, so I would only need it for trips to very cold water.

Fold it in thirds (lay it flat, fold the arms in across the body, and then fold into thirds) and put it in the DUI bag- it'll be fine. It just won't squash up- at all.

I found the 400G boots smashed my feet up too much (Brian refers to this as "geisha foot") and were really uncomfortable. I always used wool socks , but strangely my feet don't get cold when diving (I've done dives in 50 degree water without socks at all and not noticed it).

For what its worth, I've been using the Diving Concepts TPS Thinsulate Extreme for almost 2 years now. Dove it all last winter under the ice (run times from 45-60mins), on the Jodrey (55F, 1:22 run time and scootering), as well as some long scooter dives (2:30 run times, temp in the 50s). I'm wearing a base layer of Under Armour, and just air for inflation. Last winter I was fine under the ice, however I'm starting to notice now that the water is cooling off that they aren't quite as warm as they used to be.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Fourth Element stuff, but the people who are doing bigger longer dives with it tell me it sucks, and thats good enough for me.

4. When you do have to wash it, use cold water, gentle cycle, and NO SOAP. If you can soak it in a bathtub, even better. Let it dry flat.

In the Airspeed Press (of OxyHacker fame) book on diving suits they suggest washing undersuits on the 30 deg.C setting with half a cup of vinegar instead of washing powder to help get rid of the smell.

I haven't tried it yet personally, but I think I'll give it a go on my old Northern Diver 200g undersuit which is getting so old anyway it looks more like a dive skin and can be smelt from 200m away.

You can use a small amount of bleach if you aren't worried about the color of your suit to kill all of the funk. Personally, I just use a small amount of detergent in a front loading washer and then run it throught the rinse cycle a few more times to get as much of the detergent out as possible. This isn't the best way to take care of your suit but I am willing to compromise for the sake of not puking when I put it on. Once you own several, you can reserve the newest for when you really need the best insulation.

In the Airspeed Press (of OxyHacker fame) book on diving suits they suggest washing undersuits on the 30 deg.C setting with half a cup of vinegar instead of washing powder to help get rid of the smell.

I haven't tried it yet personally, but I think I'll give it a go on my old Northern Diver 200g undersuit which is getting so old anyway it looks more like a dive skin and can be smelt from 200m away.

The vinegar (white) works pretty well on my DUI 200G thinsulate and 300 fleece.

I dont dive the 400 enough to need to attempt to launder it right now so I cannot comment there.

Do you guys really find that you only get 2 to 3 years out of a Thinsulate undergarment? (And how many dives would that tend to be?)

I'm beginning to wonder if I need to replace my DC 200g jumpsuit. It's got something around 300 - 350 dives on it, and either the water's getting colder, I'm getting older, or it's not working as well as it used to . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom