DUI Drysuit - Is Crotch Cloverleaf Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milbournosphere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I am buying a drysuit off of DUI's previously loved list, and it has the options I want except for the cloverleaf patch in the groin area. I dive a BP/W with a happy strap, and I've been told to expect the strap to wear through the crotch material eventually, but that the cloverleaf patch that DUI sells can help. Would those of you out there diving a BP/W with or without a cloverleaf patch on your drysuit care to share whether or not you've had issues with your happy strap wearing through your suit over time?

The pad/patch that I'm referring to is third down on the list:
DUI drysuit diver pads and reinforcements

get some material, some AquaSeal, and DIY.....

I would not be messing around with aquaseal and stuff on a brand new suit. But I know Dive Rite has a two inch crotch strap with neoprene sleeve around it, that at least slows down wear a bit.

I would not be messing around with aquaseal and stuff on a brand new suit. But I know Dive Rite has a two inch crotch strap with neoprene sleeve around it, that at least slows down wear a bit.

he said it is off the "previously loved list, hence a DEMO, second, miss-cut, etc....

I also agree on the webbing sleeve. One can also find really supple webbing....

he said it is off the "previously loved list, hence a DEMO, second, miss-cut, etc....

I also agree on the webbing sleeve. One can also find really supple webbing....

Correct, DUI would be doing the install. It was cut for another customer but it fits my measurements perfectly. They're right down the road from the shop I'm buying it through, so it's no big deal to get it added on at the factory. The material of the crotch strap I have is already pretty soft. It's not rigid webbing like one would use for a harness, it's made of a smooth fabric webbing.

Wayne, it's a TLS350. With the shiny gold anniversary patch. Sharks will fear in terror when they see the might of the gold patch. :p

I have the cloverleaf crotch pad on my TLS. If I had my druthers I'd probably skip it, save the money, and just put a neoprene sleeve over my crotch strap.

You will have some wear in the crotch. I bought my suit in 2008 and in 2012 I had to get it repaired where it rubbed through in the crotch. This past week I had to patch the crotch area again where the suits crotch strap and my back plate and wing crotch strap rub it. So bottom line, you do need to do something in this area, but what?

Having the clover leaf is not a bad idea if you have a crotch strap with a sleeve. Like others have said already, get the Dive Rite crotch strap with the neoprene sleeve, or make your neoprene sleeve.

Back
Top Bottom