DUI T:S 350 owners -- "tough duck" question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I just ordered a TLS 350 Signature Series -- I chose the 450 style overlay.

I did not order the "tough duck" material on the overlay.

Any comments on the tough duck, in terms of adding durability to the suit (vs. the standard tri-lam), effect on mobility while wearing it, etc.? Just wondering if it is worthwhile.

Thanks.

-Chris

large_diver:

Any comments on the tough duck, in terms of adding durability to the suit (vs. the standard tri-lam), effect on mobility while wearing it, etc.? Just wondering if it is worthwhile.

Wow, got me on that one. Can you put in a link to the info on the material & the option you chose? I went to the DUI website & couldn't find a reference to "tough duck".

DUIs rock! :thumb:

There isn't much

http://www.dui-online.com/newsite/design/index.html#

If you click on the build-your-own link to the TLS 350, it mentions the "tough duck" overlay.

I spoke to someone in DUI customer service about it last week. It is apparently slightly stiffer and tougher than the tri-lam -- kind of halfway between the 450 cordura and the 350. The tough duck goes on the overlay portion of the suit only. I chose the 450 overlay pattern, so with the tough duck material would be across the chest and down the arms.

I decided not to get it since I am after maximum mobility.

Very excited about my purchase (Signature Series) -- the next few weeks will pass by much too slowly ;-)

-Chris

large_diver:
I decided not to get it since I am after maximum mobility.

Very excited about my purchase (Signature Series) -- the next few weeks will pass by much too slowly ;-)

-Chris

I would be too. You'll LOVE the suit. BTW, did you also get the Rock Boots?

large_diver:
Rockboots -- yes. I do lots of shore diving around here -- lots of rocky, uneven, splippery entries.

As a result I may have to start looking for some new fins.

Sometimes you can get fins to accommodate BOTH your booties & the Rock Boots... but it takes a bit of time & experimentation.

Pearce uses his Quattros with BOTH wetsuit booties & the Rock Boots, while I use my Dacor Tigers with both. The key seems to be a good foot pocket & lots of adjustability on the fin strap.

IOW, it CAN be done...

large_diver:

Thanks.

-Chris

Well it depends on your type of diving but Casey McKinley project director of the WKPP says this about the same question..... " The overlay on my newest suit was a nice addition and slightly more durable
without compromising flexibility. I would recommend. "

So I guess that's a thumbs up from a pro, if that means anything to you.

Too late -- I ordered it a week ago -- but thanks for the post. In the end, I didn't think it would provide a big bang for buck, since the material isn't really located in strategic wear and tear areas (down the shoulders and backs of the arms and across the chest).

SubM -- I'll have to see on the fins. I have a pair of XL jets and Mares Quattros -- with some luck the boots will fit into one of them...but with size 13 feet, it may not happen.

large_diver:
SubM -- I'll have to see on the fins. I have a pair of XL jets and Mares Quattros -- with some luck the boots will fit into one of them...but with size 13 feet, it may not happen.

You mean you actually use fins TOO? :jester:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom