DUI vs Aqualung Fusion Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Outbound also make sure you are quantifying the responses by how much the person giving the response actually used the suit. I dive a Fusion Bullet and have for over 3 years and a few hundred dives. I have never had an issue with the suit and find that it dives just like a wetsuit. I wear the L/XL and I am 5'11" and fluctuate between 200-215lb. Suit fits great either way and regardless of my thermal layer. I will say that as it was mentioned earlier it is NOT a travel drysuit as it does take a bit of time to dry. I have zero issues with the shoulder style zipper and it does not interfere with any of my straps in BPW or sidemount.

If we go off of peoples opinions that have just "demoed" a suit, then I hate the URSUIT as I tried it at MissionTec last year and it leaked and had folds that made it so I was not as streamlined. But, the reality is I can't form a solid opinion about it as it was not fitted to me and I did not dock the main zipper all the way. Now is it fair to blame URSUIT for that?

I have a Fusion Tech with probably a couple of hundred dives on it. No issues other than a couple of holes I put in it due to carelessness and they were fixed in a few minutes with a heat gun and the Fusion patch kit. It dives more like a wetsuit than a drysuit. Before rotator cuff surgery it was pretty easy to do up the zip by myself but is harder now. It is a bit of a pain to put on especially around the calves which can also make it harder to doff than other dysuits. I have a number of buddies that have the Fusion and like them. It can accommodate thick underwear for the arctic and thin for the river without any issues.

Last edited:
@Doby45 and @grf88, thanks for sharing your opinions, especially since they are based on many dives with the Fusion. One of the things I disliked about the DUI trilam suit I used for my AOW and drysuit certs was that it had that typical "swimming with a garbage bag" feel to it. The fact that the Fusion suits fit and perform more like a compressed neoprene suit is a draw for me. I know some people dislike the look, but a) I actually dislike the look of traditional trilam suits, and b) I'm diving, not attending an evening at the opera. Function over form all the way.

I will definitely check out a Fusion and tryin one when I go comparison shopping.

One more happy Fusion customer here. I have had my Fusion sport for 5 years and over 500 dives. I have zero issues with the zipper. I have never had a leak or issue yet with the suit. In 5 years, I have replaced 1 neck seal and 1 wrist seal. Both were my fault. Hadn't clipped my fingernails. Both repairs took about 60 seconds in the field. I am 6'2" and fluctuate between 200-210 lbs. I have the 2xl/3xl and it suits me just fine. COncur with everything @Zef ; @Doby45 and @grf88 have said.

Last edited:
+1 on satisfied Fusion Tech user. They aren't for everyone and it's all personal preference so you should try to demo one if possible. With 240 dives, it's showing wear on the outter skin so that might be replaced sometime, but the inner bag is in good shape. Using EVO3 boots, I've had a couple minor leaks around the socks, but the main bag has never leaked. Getting the feet through the ankles is a little tight, but I understand the new Bullet has that solved. I have not tried the new Dry Core, but I'm told it's also a little easier to get in and out of, and the new Bullet skins are more flexible than the earlier version. I'd consider one when I wear out my current suit.

Diving is easy as it does dive like a wetsuit and there's no bubble to manage. It's easy to get a little air in the feet as needed, but you don't have a bubble running up and down your back. I dive both a BP/Wing and Sidemount harness, and I don't find the zipper intrusive nor difficult to zip. I haven't had to have it replaced yet, and seems to be holding up well. I had a relief zipper installed when I got the suit and that's holding up nicely.

I've seen some decent prices on the suits lately so the bang for the buck is fairly high. I know Ocean Quest up in Burnaby, BC uses the Sports for Open Water students, and they tend to hold up well for them.

Last edited:
The Fusion works for different weight ranges fairly well, it seems. Not so for height. Just for the heck of it, I checked out the size chart. I’d have to go down a size to get one that might fit me height wise - but the height range goes from 5’5” to 5’9” - that’s just too big of a range.

The nature of the suit makes it able to handle differences in height in a similar manner to how it accommodates a wide range of weights. You really need to try one on to see for yourself.

The nature of the suit makes it able to handle differences in height in a similar manner to how it accommodates a wide range of weights. You really need to try one on to see for yourself.

I have and what fit in the torso was waaaayyy too long on the arms and legs.

Did you try going down one size on the inner core but the same size for the skin?

I am not saying the Fusion is the right suit for "everyone" by any stretch. This is evident in how much Marie despises it, but I am saying that the opinion of someone that despises it but has not really used it should be taken with a grain of salt. If you have someone that despises it and has more than a fews dives in one carries much more weight. In the end, try them all and find out what works for you..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom