Dumb AOW question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the application of PADI standards to our local dive training lake, we cover the components listed above, and more. The focus is knowing where you were, where you are, and how to get where you want to be. We do a lot of compass work, but also incorporate depth, light direction, and natural objects into the process. We emphasize team work and buddy cooperation. I think nav skills are important for all divers. I know some disagree. DivemasterDennis

I used them on my rescue class :wink: Oh.. you said real world....

Kick cycles are used when using some of the search techniques. Once again, though, few divers will ever experience that need. The difference in this case is that you don't really care howm much distance you are covering with the kicks; the number of kicks is what counts.

depending on the visibility, at a distance of 30-40 mtrs you are well within the visual range of your DM:wink:

My AOW cert had viz of about 10'.... 4 -5 kicks and you were so in the blue you had to actually rely on compass and depth gauge to get you back. Interestingly, I remember, our instructor actually lost half of his group on the way back on the next 'wreck' dive..... I remember thumbing up to 3 people behind me when I had 400 psi left... that was one long surface swim in 40 degrees water and a drysuit...

Our instructor requested two squares for navigation dive. One buddy was watching depth, the other was navigating; on the second square the roles would change.

I am taking my AOW in August so this is good knowledge to try to start practicing now. That is one skill I feel would be good to have is navigation as most of my dives typically end up far away from the exit point and require a long surface swim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom