Dumb question about NC diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casarez

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If I pay for a charter and it gets blown out due to weather am I out the money or can it be used for another day etc? Thanks.

I am looking at getting down to NC in the coming months and cannot find that answer on the Olympus website.

If you don't get on the boat you don't pay for a boat ride.

But their phone number is on the website, they are a great op and very helpful. You will enjoy diving with them.

The best thing to do is to call the shop and ask. I know Discovery in Beaufort will give you the option of an instore credit for later use or they will issue a refund if a charter is cancelled because of weather.

Thanks for the responses. I am in a conference today but will give them a ring tomorrow.

You're never out the money if the charter cancels the trip for any reason (weather / mechanical / lack of interest / etc....). You only lose your money if you make a reservation, don't show up, and the charter runs with the empty spot that you reserved.

Most charters take your money when you make a reservation. I'm sure they would prefer it if you spend the money on another day of diving, but I have not had any problems getting a full refund either.

A couple of charters do even better. They take your credit card info when you make a reservation and don't charge you until the boat leaves in the morning.

I have had a trip booked with Olympus since December. So far, every trip has been blown out (three). The good news is I get a call from Nema or Jon before I make the nine hour drive to Morehead and each time, they have offered a full refund or another date. I couldn't ask for better service or consideration for my time and expense to get there.

My next scheduled trip is May 8/9. Hopefully the weather gods will allow me to finally see the U352! I have never been on a Olympus charter but the service I have received so far makes me want to book with them anytime the wind isn't blowing 20-25 knots!

I was thinking of going with the Shark Research Institute to study sand tigers. But if you get blown out, they won't refund. I guess because they are non-profit or something?

You can dive on most of the offshore wrecks anytime and see sand tigers. They are a common site, except of the U-352. It is too small for them to hang around on during the summer.

If theres a dude working in the shop named mike tell him he's a "teen" haaha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom