Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Letsee. First cert dive I was so excited I forgot to Unbungie the tank, and turn the air on, and what the heck is a back-roll entry anyway....

Now, I is erpectf!

On the third certification dive in the spring we were performing a controlled out of air accent. The problem was that between our second and third dives another group had setup swim throughs around the platform (to practice buoyancy I think). Anyway, when I performed my accent I started exhaling (ahhhh) and started for the surface. All of a sudden I realized I was not going anywhere. When I finally made it to the surface I was short one fin. It had caught on a swimthrough and the strap broke. Luckily one of the DMs brought it up with him.

Okay now we have heard many of the regular problems we have encountered. What is the weirdest problem someone has encountered?

Strange ?

I got a jellyfish blown inside my wetsuit from a commercial warm water pump. Nasty case of no sitting down for two weeks.
-------- x -------- x--------
Having a remora stick to the inside of my thigh for an entire dive.
Having to teach a one-legged man (with a floating prosthesis) to use a dry suit.
Teaching a husband and wife (deaf and mute) to dive when she could only use sign language. Great for me on the surface, but feeling a little left out underwater.
I was sitting in receiption of my dive shop doing the books, when I heard a wheezing woman walking up the stairs. She got to the top and then holding the banister asked me if I could teach her to dive.

She had lung cancer and had six months to live, after having had one lung removed. She had tried sky diving, bungee jumping and rally driving and wanted to learn to dive.

I informed her that she would have to pass a medical, as having only one lung could be a problem.

She told me that her nephew, who was also an instructor, said that she would be able to dive without a problem.

When I asked her why she had not gone to her nephew for training, she replied that she did not want to cause him any trouble!

Belushi reminded me of an experience...

Once, on Cozumel, we dove with a man who had had one leg amputated. He wore a prosthesis...and my guess is that he had modified it to be neutrally buoyant...and it caused some averted eyes. Well, he was a superb diver: great buoyancy control, excellent air conservation, etc.

Later, he sat down next to us at the pool and we chatted for quite a while. He was very forthright about his leg and how it affected his diving...e.g., shore dives in surf were a little problem, but nothing else was. At any rate, I just wanted to note that what many of us consider a "handicap" is what others live with everyday and is just one of many things that make life "interesting"!

Joewr

The guy I am talking about was actually a world class parachutist. He had "flown" with the Great Britain parachutist team in the world championships.

We had great fun trying to make him neutrally bouyant so he could use his one good leg for propulsion in a normal horizontal position.

We ended up ditching the prosthesis and tieing the drysuit leg up under the weight belt and hooking an ankle weight to the fold to "balance him out"

Lots of fun and huge amounts of lateral thinking.

One of my harder courses, but well worth it. He eventually completed his PADI Advanced Plus Course.

I've been reminded that I've recently done a 'stupid' thing. I vote 'Never' - because nothing got broken. I just forgot one small piece of equipment -- back at the hotel. I did the typical whine "hon can you go and get it?" (after all it was his truck, and I know how you guys are with your trucks) Being the gentleman he is, he very nicely drove back and got -- my dry suit. Will I never live this down?

Thanks hon, I really enjoyed the diving....

Originally posted by DivingGal
I've been reminded that I've recently done a 'stupid' thing. I vote 'Never' - because nothing got broken. I just forgot one small piece of equipment -- back at the hotel. I did the typical whine "hon can you go and get it?" (after all it was his truck, and I know how you guys are with your trucks) Being the gentleman he is, he very nicely drove back and got -- my dry suit. Will I never live this down?

Thanks hon, I really enjoyed the diving....

No problem sweetie, it was the most I could do....

BTW: don't forget you offered me a new Zeagle Ranger BC and the regulator of my choice...

Done all the usual - striding with no air, no weights, no mask but the ABSOLUTE worst was when I was diving a local quarry. There are two stride entry points - one at water level and one 7ft high. Wanting to impress the group of OW students I was accompanying, I kitted up, did my buddy check, tripped over one of my fins and did a 1 1/2 somersault into the water.

Managed to save grace by surfacing and giving the OK signal to the divemaster (who could hardly breath with laughing). Apparently I would have scored a graceful 8/10 at the olympics!!

Just to show you the platform, here is a photo taken on the same day (luckily no one had a camera ready for my fiasco)!

By Belushi :
One of my harder courses, but well worth it. He eventually completed his PADI Advanced Plus Course.

I thought I was your hardest student.......couldnt get anything right and had to take extra time learning everything!!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom