Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was quite upset to read through the previous list and learn I may be the first to have done this one. Here's to my most embarrasing dive moment...

I did a backroll off a boat beautifully with all my equipment and descended to the floor about 30 feet below to gather with the whole group. I got to the bottom and pushed the button to add air to my BCD. Only this time I didn't hear that familiar and comforting sound of air being pumped into my BC; Instead I heard the terrifying sound of, silence... I pushed the button again realizing something was wrong and looked down at the left side of my BCD only to realize I had forgotten to attach my inflator hose... WHOOPS! Still a newbie I turned to my dive buddy, displayed my problem by holding an unattached inflator hose up and gave him the signal to go up. Well... the rest of the group was beginning to head off and start our dive as I fumbled to swim without diving headfirst into the ocean floor. I found my professor/DM, displayed the problem, and gave him the ascent signal to let him know I was going up. He waved his hands back at me while shaking his head (I'm still not sure if he was laughing or in disbelief) and told me to stop as he reached down and, like magic, attached my inflator hose to my BCD. Didn't know you could do that underwater... I tried the inflator button again, this time hearing the beautiful sound of air flowing into my BC and the wonderful result of establishing bouyancy, thus swimming forward without unintentionally descending into the ocean floor.

Lesson learned: Do your buddy check and make sure they check YOU. Oh yeah, and you can configure some of your setup underwater...

As for other mistakes, I've forgotten to unbungie my tank multiple times before attaching my computer and regs- this makes life a royal ***** when your fully suited and ready to dive. But (knock on wood) I've never broken anything... (yet)

at least with a bc you can inflate it orally (that should have been taught in ow class!!!!) if your inflator fails at depth you better know how to inflate. that being said you should see the looks on the students faces when their instructor(me) forgets to hook up his drysuit hose! (no way to orally inflate that at depth). I have gotten very good at attaching it at depth as I am being squeezed like a ronco food saver meal.

The boat is set on the anchor rocking gently in the swells. Two teams are setting up their doubles, checking stage bottles, double checking gear. Anticipation is running high because no one on the boat knows what is underneah yet.

The part that I don't like to tell is in checking MY deco bottles, I looked at name, content, MOD then hooked them on a 20' line and lowered them to swing under the boat where I would retrieve them when starting the dive. Seems to work best on small boats not set up for tec diving.

I get close to 100 pounds of gear on and do a back roll off of the boat. After bubble checks are done, I roll over and descend to my deco bottles. Noticing that they looked a little funny as I swam up to them, it was at that moment that I started wondering how was I going to surface, get out of the water and put regs on em without my team mate noticing......Still haven't lived that one down....

Scottri:
I tried to grab a tank rolling out of the bed of my pickup parked on a boat ramp. Needless to say I was not able to stop it in time. It landed on the valve and bent it but didn't break it. A reg wouldn't seat properly on it and the valve cost me $50.00. I saw a guy leave a tank standing in the parking lot of a dive shop. He turned to talk to somebody and it fell over, rolled out of the parking lot and halfway across a 4 lane street with cars going by. We managed to catch it but boy was that high on the pucker scale.

I also once put a nice hole in the palm of my hand trying to remove a zip tie off of a mouth piece with a very sharp knife.

Scott:mean:

Hey scottie, nice jammies, hows the spearfishing been over your way

My reel was broken so I borrowed a dive buddy's to practice shooting lift bags, on the first dive clipped reel to bag, shot bag and watched both lift bag and reel shoot to the surface. Luckly I was able to retrieve the lift bag and reel.....

On a boatdive in a drysuit I was really baking so I open the zipper a bit to cool down.

When we get to the divesite I rush to get in the water, notice that the zipper thats supposed to protect the drysuit zip isnt closed all the way (FZ) and so quickly close it and jump in...

Notice almost immediatly that I´m leaking a bit but figure a trickle wont hurt (thick undergarment). A few seconds later I start feeling a little damp. Get myself back to the railing of the boat to have one of the crew help me...

Turns out my zip was about 3 inches undone and now my drysuit is halffull of water... :confined:
All thru the dive theres a squelching sound everytime I fin and having water move around all through my suit in miniture waves during the 45 minute dive was certainly a....novel...experience...:11:

The look on peoples faces as I climb aboard the boat, get out of my gear and go horizontal with an open zip only to have water cascade onto the deck was pretty funny though... :confused2

I started my decent and thought, "Gee, why are things so blury? This mask is really fogging up. I could have sworn I put some defog in." Then when I reached to give my mask a bit of a tug to let some water in to swish around hoping that would clear it a bit....... was when I realized I wasn't wearing my mask!!! Doah!!!

getting a lift bag stuck to the roof of a cave............

Coming to work every day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom