Dumeguete, Puerto Galera, or BOTH?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd skip Dumaguete altogether. Mediocre diving at premium prices. With Ducomi now no longer accessible, the area has lost its ace. Apo Island is ok but you get better nearby in Cebu, Balicasag etc. Mind you the pelagic side of things in the Philippines is severely lacking except in a few areas.

scubashooter:
I'd skip Dumaguete altogether. Mediocre diving at premium prices. With Ducomi now no longer accessible, the area has lost its ace. Apo Island is ok but you get better nearby in Cebu, Balicasag etc. Mind you the pelagic side of things in the Philippines is severely lacking except in a few areas.

I admit, pelagic marine life is not a forte of the dive sites in the Dumaguete area, but they can definitely compete favorably against any of the dive sites in Cebu and Bohol. Macro photographers would have a difficult time finding other dive sites that could better the Dumaguete sites in terms of variety and abundance of worthy subjects. As for Apo, the island has long been the posterboy of community-based coastal resources management (read: taking care of their reefs) for a very good reason; it just simply is one of the premier dive spots in the country. Also, certain authorities have re-opened the Ducomi pier, so Dumaguete's ace-in-the-hole is back. Unfortunately, those authorities have also decided to impose a slightly higher diving fee for the site. Cr@p.

Oh yeah, the crowds that you often get in Cebu and Bohol are nowhere to be found in Dumaguete, and that to me is a very big plus.

Marku Glad to hear the update on Ducomi and Dumaguete. I definitly want to do a couple of dives there. Can`t beat the " locals " for up to the minute news on certain sites. Thats why SB is so invaluable. Thank to everyone who takes time to get the info out there. Can`t wait to hit the water. Philippines here I come. Kind regards kevin :crafty:
marku:
I admit, pelagic marine life is not a forte of the dive sites in the Dumaguete area, but they can definitely compete favorably against any of the dive sites in Cebu and Bohol. Macro photographers would have a difficult time finding other dive sites that could better the Dumaguete sites in terms of variety and abundance of worthy subjects. As for Apo, the island has long been the posterboy of community-based coastal resources management (read: taking care of their reefs) for a very good reason; it just simply is one of the premier dive spots in the country. Also, certain authorities have re-opened the Ducomi pier, so Dumaguete's ace-in-the-hole is back. Unfortunately, those authorities have also decided to impose a slightly higher diving fee for the site. Cr@p.

Oh yeah, the crowds that you often get in Cebu and Bohol are nowhere to be found in Dumaguete, and that to me is a very big plus.
:crafty:

415Gem:
Wait... I am going in 38 days. Ye-A-a-H-H-h. San Migs ! :crafty:
Hello everyone 14 days till I land down in the PI`s. Getting everything ready. Starting to get psyched for some amazing diving, people and travel. PS Any tips for a hotels in Manila, I will be arriving Manila 10:45 pm...and probably would like to sleep about 12 hrs when I get there. I will go to Anilao first,so some hotel close to buses to Anilao Kind regards Kevin

heheh, probably wouldn't like the sketchy hotels around the bus stations there (cubao area), but the closest one (non-sketchy) that I could think of is Shangri-La Edsa.

Then you could catch a cab to Tritam bus station and take the bus to bauan. From bauan you ride the jeepney to anilao pier. Then from anilao pier you catch the jeepney or take a tricycle to your resort (jeepneys don't run after 5pm around the pier. Found out the hard way). It's a very easy trip (took me about 3 hrs from QC)

But if it's your first time in the PI, it maybe good to just ask the resort to arrange a pick up (will cost around P2000) to get to anilao. I recall you asking about the PI before - just do a search in the philippine paradise forum because I know Paolo has mentioned a certain driver he uses.

Have fun in the philippines! What's your itinerary (will you be doing Dumaguete, PG, Cebu as well?)? Maybe I'll be at anilao the same time you are.

chip104:
heheh, probably wouldn't like the sketchy hotels around the bus stations there (cubao area), but the closest one (non-sketchy) that I could think of is Shangri-La Edsa.

Then you could catch a cab to Tritam bus station and take the bus to bauan. From bauan you ride the jeepney to anilao pier. Then from anilao pier you catch the jeepney or take a tricycle to your resort (jeepneys don't run after 5pm around the pier. Found out the hard way). It's a very easy trip (took me about 3 hrs from QC)

But if it's your first time in the PI, it maybe good to just ask the resort to arrange a pick up (will cost around P2000) to get to anilao. I recall you asking about the PI before - just do a search in the philippine paradise forum because I know Paolo has mentioned a certain driver he uses.

Have fun in the philippines! What's your itinerary (will you be doing Dumaguete, PG, Cebu as well?)? Maybe I'll be at anilao the same time you are.
Hello Chip 104 That would be great to get together. I will check with Paolo for driver. I am getting ready and am not in that much of a rush. Believe ...I might stay till checkout and catch a car...like you said. Lets keep in touch Kevin

actually, now portulano resort also uses the driver i use for their guest who doesn't want to be bothered by driving to dive.

however, hehehhehe i get preference from the guy OR ELSE !!!! hehehehhe....

Hi, I am confirmed diving at Southern Leyte in April, and interested to dive in Dumaguete, after reading some reviews on the dive quality there. But it seems to be very far off from Southern Leyte. The original plan was actually to Bohol after SL. Any comments on whether Bohol will be better/nearer than Dumaguete? would one day travelling be enuff to reach Dumaguete? Thanks! :)

beivied, you might want to start a new thread over in the Philippine Paradise Diver's subforum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom