Dumped on by Diving Companies Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro50:
GOOD NEWS ........ MARES/DACOR has heard our cries for help and responded with a new program to help solve the problem. They are offering a trade in program for owners of Dacor regulators made before 2000. to find out more about the program go to www.scubaboard.com/t110024-.html for more details ...........
I checked out MARES trade in offer. IT's a load of BS. They will offer you an Abyss for $299.00...Whoopie!!!!! Check out Scubatoys normal listed price...just take a guess how much you're saving by giving up your "old" Dacor....yup, zero, zilch, nada, nyet, nothing.
Scubapro50, how can you say this is good news?
Sorry, I'm not buying this line of BS, I'll continue to boycott MARES, even if I have to pay double to buy another brand.
Chris

garyfotodiver:
It means the lifetime of the company. When "ABC, Inc." reorganizes and is renamed "DEF, LLC" it is a different company, possibly without responsibility for previous obligations. The same thing happens when a business is sold. The new owners might organise the company under a new name, in a new state, with different governing laws, etc.

If a company is aquired by another through a stock buy-out, it gets the liabilities as well as the assets and company name. On the other hand, it the aquistion is assets only, the new company leaves the liabilities with the old 'shell' company. Since the the assets are purchased, the old company has funds for handling the liabilities. Maybe . . .

Vtdiver2:
I checked out MARES trade in offer. IT's a load of BS. They will offer you an Abyss for $299.00...Whoopie!!!!! Check out Scubatoys normal listed price...just take a guess how much you're saving by giving up your "old" Dacor....yup, zero, zilch, nada, nyet, nothing.
Scubapro50, how can you say this is good news?
Sorry, I'm not buying this line of BS, I'll continue to boycott MARES, even if I have to pay double to buy another brand.
Chris

I notice that you are only quoting the most expensive option on the trade up. Mares has four regulators as trade up options. The Eagle sport, the MR12 Rebel, the Eagle pro DPD, and the Abyss. I'm pretty sure the spread is to give the customer a choice in price and performance. Chris, you are welcome to do anything you want to, that's the beauty of a free society, but there is most definantly some good to be had from the trade up. I wouldn't expect to trade in my C-2 Clipper( nor would I) and get a modern regulator for a song, there have been some technological improvements since then. The press release that I read also clearly states that when the company was bought in 1999 the vendors who made the parts for Dacor destroyed their molds, making it impossible to get more parts. This is the third trade up program that has been offered since then, so I'd say that Mares is trying to make the most of a bad situation and accomodate people as best as they can.

dacordiver:
I notice that you are only quoting the most expensive option on the trade up. Mares has four regulators as trade up options. The Eagle sport, the MR12 Rebel, the Eagle pro DPD, and the Abyss. I'm pretty sure the spread is to give the customer a choice in price and performance. Chris, you are welcome to do anything you want to, that's the beauty of a free society, but there is most definantly some good to be had from the trade up. I wouldn't expect to trade in my C-2 Clipper( nor would I) and get a modern regulator for a song, there have been some technological improvements since then. The press release that I read also clearly states that when the company was bought in 1999 the vendors who made the parts for Dacor destroyed their molds, making it impossible to get more parts. This is the third trade up program that has been offered since then, so I'd say that Mares is trying to make the most of a bad situation and accomodate people as best as they can.
I've already bought another reg, and it wasn't a MARES. I'll hold on to my old DACOR, even if I can't get parts for it. Yes, in my last post I only quoted one reg, but the point was that I don't see it as that great of a deal. Look at it this way. You bought a DACOR reg with a lifetime warranty, and get it serviced as you must to keep the warranty. Then DACOR says "sorry, we aren't going to live up to our side of the deal, sorry for screwing you, but let me offer you a "deal" on another regulator."
So I went to scubatoys last week, and took a look at the price of the Abyss ( because it's recommended as a great reg) and saw their posted price for it is $299. So, then I went to the page for the trade in special and see they are offering you an Abyss for $299 with your DACOR trade-in.
WHERE"S THE DEAL??? Did I miss something? I have noticed that the pages on Scubatoys have changed, and it does make me wonder....

Vtdiver2:
So I went to scubatoys last week, and took a look at the price of the Abyss ( because it's recommended as a great reg) and saw their posted price for it is $299. So, then I went to the page for the trade in special and see they are offering you an Abyss for $299 with your DACOR trade-in.
WHERE"S THE DEAL??? Did I miss something? I have noticed that the pages on Scubatoys have changed, and it does make me wonder....

Actually we have not changed the price on the 2005 abyss in some time. It has been $449. We did have some of the older abyss models that were discounted for a bit, so maybe that was the confusion... But the standard MAP price of a 2005 Abyss is $449... so $299 when trading in any old dacor shaped paper weight is a pretty good deal!

Again, sorry if our page caused any confusion!

scubatoys:
Actually we have not changed the price on the 2005 abyss in some time. It has been $449. We did have some of the older abyss models that were discounted for a bit, so maybe that was the confusion... But the standard MAP price of a 2005 Abyss is $449... so $299 when trading in any old dacor shaped paper weight is a pretty good deal!

Again, sorry if our page caused any confusion!
Thanks for clearing that up Larry.
Bottomline is I'm not giving another nickel to Mares or Dacor at this point. They had the chance to do the right thing and honor their warranties. I'm sure the vendors that made DACOR parts only destroyed their molds after being told there wouldn't be any more orders. Why else would they have destroyed them?
There are far to many instances of corporations screwing the public, like ENRON, MCI, and the list goes on, who think they can screw us over, wait 6 months and think we are going to forgive them and go on, business as usual. The only recourse we, as the public, have to tell these corporations that we won't stand for them screwing us, is to boycott their product. That's what I'm going to doing with MARES. They screwed me once, I'm not giving them the chance to do it again.
This is just my opinion. I've enjoyed diving the DACOR brand, as I have more than just a reg of theirs. But, as far as new purchases go, I've made my last.
Nuff said,
Chris

fdog:
Get your parts here .

When my beloved T2100B exhausted the parts supply, I picked up a B2. That's life.

All the best, James

fdog,

Ahhhh, the Tekna 2100BX regulators. My favorite regulator and I have now collected 4 sets of them plus misc spare parts. Its just getting harder and harder to find someone to service the 2nd stages but the 1st stages are easy to get serviced since they are a knock-off of the SP MK5.

I believe they were ahead of their time and their 2nd stages required almost no maintenance as long as you rinsed them well and kept them out of the heat when storing them.

Rickg

I like the idea posed earlier about a small claims action being made against Dacor. I am a lawyer in CT and if anyone wants to give it a go, let me know. The action doesn't have to be brought in CT, it could be brought in home state of either party (Dacor - CT or your home state). Warranties are contracts and are only as good as the contract terms. Although I have a few Dacor Olympics that I love, I was not the original purchaser and so (from my understanding of the warranty language), I can't pursue an action on my own. People have discussed that it would be valueless to pursue this (as the affected regs are old and such). That seems to be based on the assumption that value loss is based on the depreciated value of the old reg. Another way to look at it (and again, I'd have to see the actual warranty language) is that a lifetime warranty on functioning reg is worth the value (if not repaired) of a diving lifetime of purchasing a new reg (or regs) to achieve the same result of the initial warranty (that is, lifetime reg use for initial purchase price). Whether Dacor's liabilities were transferred is a factual issue, not one that anyone can speculate on. I imagine that they transferred with the rest of Dacor, though. So, how many original purchasers with paperwork are out there? I am not soliciting business. In this instance, I'm a diver first, but if anyone wants to send me a copy of warranty language as a first step, maybe we can have some fun.

Just wondering how many of you have taken advantage of the Mares/Dacor trade in program. I received my Mares 05 Abyss and it breaths alot better than either one of the Dacor 360s I returned. The people at Dacor screwed up when they dropped service and parts for their older regulators. Those guys are long gone and have been replaced by a new team led by Phil Mintz. They have offered up a "peace offering" in the way of a trade up program for a newer and better design. I for one decided to take the deal and I'm glad I did ..............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom