Dunderburg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like seeing some cards. I don't like seeing a continuous stream of certs with no real dives in between. There's a nice medium between not being confident enough not to dive outside the system, and being so overconfident that you feel there is no system good enough to teach you anything.

I'm not saying anyone in this thread falls into either category above. Like you said, I'm not going to trash or praise anyone unless I've had a few dives with them (well, except in special cases where its obvious).

Tom

Totally agree with your statement, obviously you want a person with certifications, I just wanted to say, like you said, that you need to have some real dives and that experience is the real thing that counts, but obviously certification and training is very important.
I don't want it to seem like I hate PADI or something, I think they're a fabulous organization, just like all systems, some people misuse it. However, in reference to this dive I feel we had the appropriate "certifications" because I don't see it as a "technical" dive.

I didn't mean to come across as contradicting you. I'm just blabbing again.

Tom

I didn't mean to come across as contradicting you. I'm just blabbing again.

Tom

Oh no offense taken, I didn't really think you were contradicting me, I just figured you were expanding on what I said, no problem:D

So then we're in VIOLENT and EXPLICIT agreement.

Another first for Scubaboard. :D

It's back to the debate of technical diving again. At what magic circumstance does a dive turn technical?

Generally speaking, technical dive training starts with a more detailed understanding of decompression procedures and technical dives generally require staged decompression. The Eber Ward is a good example where many divers have enjoyed this wreck as a non-technical dive staying within the NDL. One can choose to stay longer, take appropriate back gas volumes and decompression gasses and make this a technical dive. The only "magic" circumstance is ones approach to a dive.

I couldn't agree with you more.... Excellent way to put it!!!

Let's review what started this whole mess - me :D

In post #4 I stated that didn't see an H-Valve, or redundant air source. I called it a stage/deco setup. I hate the term 'pony' as it infurs you have one of those stupid looking brackets on your main tank. A 'pony' is much easier carried in a stage format tucked under your arm for ready access. Everyone I know carries it under the left arm as opposed to the right arm. In the picture provided there is clearly no pony/stage under the left arm.

I never questioned (at first) at your limits or if you were tech diving. I questioned who in their right mind would be 130' deep in Lake Huron without a redundant air source. The water is cold and a quick trip to the surface to breath makes for a very bad day. Two of a three person buddy team died at Gilboa Stone Quarry just last year doing just that. The investigation stated that likely one divers 1st stage froze and they went into air sharing. The tax on the dive buddies 1st stage (providing gas to two divers at once) froze it and they made a free ascent. One survived, one did not. Not really sure what happened to #3 other than he was found dead on the bottom

I do question the fun of a bounce dive to take a picture. This wreck, in my opinion, is suited as a tech dive only. It's not worth the few minutes of time on the wreck. I had the opportunity to dive her in July as a rec dive and refused. I found another operator and dove the Regina, the New York, Elisa Strong, and the Sport instead. I did so in doubles to provide myself redundant gas sources in the event of a freeze, but I gotta say lugging doubles on and off the boat of the Strong may indeed have been the most overkill I've ever done :lotsalove: I'm just too lazy to bring two wings and three sets of regs on one boat.

Let's leave the conversation at opinions. My opinion is that the Dunderberg isn't worth visiting for a rec dive.

We each own our own dive plans and accept the risks associated with them.

Last edited:
Do you intentionally go out of your way to piss people off or does it just happen naturally? :wink:

Thanks, Jim--I needed that comment to be said; I was thinking it--you said it.:)

Thanks, Jim--I needed that comment to be said; I was thinking it--you said it.:)

Wasn't trying to piss anyone off. I was going back to the post that started the downward trend, and owned the accountability.

My communication is always to the point, sometimes to a fault. I tried to go back and clarify my statements.

I'm bowing out of the conversation. I wish every safe and happy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom