Dutch Springs - First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today my husband and I went on a sightseeing-gaming-shopping trip to the Lehigh Valley. While we were there we decided to take a peep at this 'Dutch Springs' that so many people talk about here.

First thing we noticed, and couldn't believe, were the prices! $19 each just for us to walk around and see the place, without even diving (diving would have been almost twice as much)! While I do know that it costs more to take a boat dive, I can rationalize that dive boats are much more expensive to operate and there are far fewer divers on a boat then there were here. With that dent in the pocketbook we tried to make the best of it. I must say that our experience didn't get much better after that. Parking wasn't bad, and I expected to have a bit of trouble getting around with my walking cast so I wasn't let down. My next surprise was how crowded the place was! My word, not just with the divers, but the swimming area as well! I must admit that it did look fun, but the two crowds having to deal with each other can't be that easy to do!

My next surprise came when I noticed the rather shocking territorial behavior of the divers that were there. I actually witnessed a two dive buddies taking up three picnic benches for their gear, three of them! That seemed quite a bit much to me and my husband wondered how they would ever manage to dive on a boat with such a real estate requirement.

I must say that I did witness a general camaraderie among the divers there.

I also did get the impression that there are a great many shops/clubs that dive there on any given day, which is good to see, but the independent diver or divers are left a little too much to the wayside for my tastes.

There seemed to be plenty of entry points into the water, but it's shocking to see large groups of divers, most likely classes of some sort, doing their briefings/debriefings right on the entry ramps, totally blocking them from use by any other divers! Not very courteous if you ask me, let alone professional for an instructor. The staff on hand seemed to be rather well mannered, but they were lacking in pleasantry. I guess if I had to work on a Sunday I wouldn't be very happy either.

The only thing that didn't surprise me were the prices at the consession counter, abnormally high for what didn't seem very appetizing. I do have to complement the place for having nice and well-kept restroom facilities.

They do advertise camping on-site, which would be interesting.

As for the diving, I can only imagine that having that many people cycle through the water must have a negative effect on both the visibility and the aquatic life that one wishes to appreciate while diving. With all that in mind, I may be willing to consider testing the waters on a weekday, but for right now a weekend trip to Dutch Springs would appear to be more hassle than it is worth.

My husband is of the same opionins, but I think his desire to get in the water is starting to outweigh any discomfort he may have to deal with.

Could someone please tell me what the positive points of this place would be?

There's a helicopter that's floating at a midlevel depth. How often do you get to swim through one of those?

weekends are definetly more busy then during the week. As you said they are usually class's going on everyweekend at dutch and more people have off. But even still the diving is good. There are many attractions through out and differnt things to do. As for the Tables yes they are limited and people that go there are generally very nice ad helpful. I have yet to met someone that was not.

As for the crowds between diving and the waterpark, Personally I have never had an issue nor have I heard from anyone that has. I have been there several time during the week usually wed/thurs and there is almost no one there all the tables are usually open there will be some people over at the aquapark. BUt it is a lot nicer with a smaller crowd. BUt in the even you need something someone to dive with or show you something everyone is helpful and corteous to eachother.

Overall they are not a bad place to get out and dive they're prices are definetly not cheap we got season pass's there last 2 years and unfortunalty have not gottent there as much this year as a result will probably do more Ocean shore dives and local things next year and save the money plus it's little farther away then others for me. But is a good place to go and dive

Why not dive in the ocean? :idk:

Well, here's a scenario for you :)

- rent a car - get up at 4am to drive a couple of hours to the boat
- get to boat to find out the trip is cancelled
- get to drive a couple of hours back - now through NYC rush (it's always rush here) traffic
- get to pay full price for car rental with no diving to show for it.

Vs.
- rent car
- drive 2 hours to Dutch
- dive to your heart's content - including Saturday night dive
- get to hang out with good friends and make new ones on the SI

Henrik

- get to drive a couple of hours back - now through NYC rush (it's always rush here) traffic

What kind of car? :popcorn:

To the OP:

I was absolutely floored when I went and saw the prices. My fiance was in the park for two of the three days, very pregnant and only there to keep us company (she was pregnant so could not dive or use the waterpark). We paid full price for her to sit in a chair in the shade and relax.

However, it was all completely worth it because we were there with great friends, and got to do a bunch of diving. Could I have gone somewhere less expensive? Definitely considering it was a 12.5 hour drive there, 4 nights in a hotel, meals, diving, 8.5 hours to drive home.......but it was worth every penny because I was diving with friends.

If you are looking for the absolute cheapest option, stay away from Dutch because you will not be satisfied. If you need to criticize and account for where every penny goes form the high admission price, go dive off a boat. Dutch really is worth it if you can go with friends and just enjoy the day. Take a lunch, get some sun, talk to people, do a couple dives.......it really is worth it. Just find a place to do free shore diving (like I do) the rest of the time so it is not always that expensive.

First thing we noticed, and couldn't believe, were the prices! $19 each just for us to walk around and see the place, without even diving (diving would have been almost twice as much)!

My next surprise came when I noticed the rather shocking territorial behavior of the divers that were there. I actually witnessed a two dive buddies taking up three picnic benches for their gear, three of them! That seemed quite a bit much to me and my husband wondered how they would ever manage to dive on a boat with such a real estate requirement.

I must say that I did witness a general camaraderie among the divers there.

I also did get the impression that there are a great many shops/clubs that dive there on any given day, which is good to see, but the independent diver or divers are left a little too much to the wayside for my tastes.

There seemed to be plenty of entry points into the water, but it's shocking to see large groups of divers, most likely classes of some sort, doing their briefings/debriefings right on the entry ramps, totally blocking them from use by any other divers!

As for the diving, I can only imagine that having that many people cycle through the water must have a negative effect on both the visibility and the aquatic life that one wishes to appreciate while diving. With all that in mind, I may be willing to consider testing the waters on a weekday, but for right now a weekend trip to Dutch Springs would appear to be more hassle than it is worth.

My husband is of the same opionins, but I think his desire to get in the water is starting to outweigh any discomfort he may have to deal with.

I will try to answer a few of your questions from a user perspective. Dutch Springs is an excellent facility when you compare it to other quarry operations in the area. It is not a coral reef, but the facilities are nice and the visibility is generally good. Recent rain is the main factor, not the number of divers.

The price for daily use is high, but the season passes are quite reasonable (approx $200 purchased early). Most regular users are season pass holders.

There are a lot of organized and casual diving groups that use Dutch on the weekend. I suspect that the table hogs were trying to reserve for a group. I usually avoid the weekends or get there early. Another advantage of a season pass is avoiding the ticket lines and getting inside quickly to get a good spot.

Dutch Springs has three main entry areas, the largest is designated the student area, it has more entry points and more suspended platforms for training. The platforms keep the classes from disturbing the visibility too much. You can avoid the classes by diving one of the other entry points, or by diving weekdays.

I would rather be diving in Cozumel, but since I live up here, this is a pretty good way to get in the water. My sons and I try to dive at least once a week.

If you need to criticize and account for where every penny goes form the high admission price, [-]go dive off a boat.[/-] you've probably picked the wrong sport to participate in.

Fixed that for ya. :D

Vs.
- rent car
- drive 2 hours to Dutch
- dive to your heart's content - including Saturday night dive
- get to hang out with good friends and make new ones on the SI

Henrik

That makes perfect sence. Long boat rides are not my cup of tea as well.

Fixed that for ya. :D

<snicker> Very True. Have you guys seen how much those darn marine grade snaps cost????? I am going to Home Depot!!!!

As herbdb mentioned, the season passes make for a much more reasonable admission price if you go there often. But really, as Cave Diver pointed out, there are way too many things in this wonderful sport that we call a hobby that carry silly price tags to worry about. I have tried hard to learn to simply enjoy it and if it is too expensive, then I just don't tell her about the purchase.....errrrr I mean I find another way around it (for example free shore diving).

My suggestion to the OP.....talk to the group called DNY, see when they are going to be there, arrange to meet them one day, to dive with them.....I guarantee you will walk away saying the price of admission was worth it. Give it a try before judging.

Back
Top Bottom