duties or VAT on camera shipped from USA to France ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahmed Yahya

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i bought a digital camera, strobe and underwater housing from a dive shop in USA to be shipped to France.
does anyone knows how much VAT or taxes should I pay when receiving the goods in France ?

I know it's not exactly the answer you are looking for but it may give you an insight, since France and UK are both EU countries.

A couple of years ago I imported from the US some motorcycle go-faster bits into the UK. If my memory serves me well, after paying the customs and V.A.T. the price ended up being about 30%-ish higher than the original US price.
I cant imagine that the duties would deviate much between the 2 countries, since the customs rate would be the same, and only the V.A.T. rates would vary.

Hope this helps

thanks a lot
i read somewhere in the web that France doesn't impose duties on Cameras but it may charge around 20% VAT. the information is not confirmed so , that's why i need to know from the members themselves. i am sure someone ordered a camera or strobe from non-EU country.

I have ordered both cameras,housings,wings etc. from the U.S. to Norway(which is not EU). Our local 25% VAT is added on all orders/amounts above aprx.USD 33,- (not including shipping costs). If above USD 33,- an additional 35-40,- USD are charged for customs/papers....
If I order equipment from Germany, they deduct the local VAT. Have never experienced that when ordering from the U.S., but not all the states have taxes.....

I was even taxed from the old Compuserve a decade or more ago, for a coffe mug.. :)

Divealpha, state (sales) taxes generally only apply when the seller is in the same state (or has a location in the same state) as the buyer. There is no reason you should ever be charged state taxes on US purchases ordered online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom