DX-1G Hot Shoe device?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K

KeithG

Can anyone provide any information about the DX-1G "hot shoe ttl led" device? (or non device since it does not seem to exist).

I have found references to such a device in some very early pre-product release posts. The housing also has an FO cable socket moulded into the housing directly above the hot shoe. So the housing designer anticipated the device. But it has never appeared as a product offering.

I have had my DX-1G & dual ys110 rig for over a year now and am very happy with it. But i would love to eliminate (reduce?) the wait time between shots while the internal flash gets recharged. It seems like such a device would solve the problem.

Can the Sea & Sea rep comment on why the device was never produced?
Was the reason marketing related: engineering development cost too high, material cost too high, not a high enough priority, outside area of corporate expertise, ...
Or was it a technical design reason: device was too bulky, insufficient battery power, insufficient LED output to trigger strobes via FO cable, excessive battery consumption, ...
Or was it a camera limitation: no TTL via hotshoe, hotshoe just doesn't work, ...

In theory such a device should be very simple. I believe the biggest challenges would be beaing able to jam enough battery power in the limited space to power a fast, high output LED that is likely required to trigger the strobes. But i could be wrong!

HI giffen-
This has been discussed a few times previously. There was an initial mention from SEA&SEA Japan of such a product, however, it was never pursued for a variety of reasons including production/engineering time, resources, patent issues and other. There will be no development of such a product in the future. Enjoy your system!

Back
Top Bottom