Dx-2g

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please post some pics after your first trip. I would love to see the results.

Regards,

Bill

I was all set to buy the Sea & Sea DX-2G Pro package with YS-110a, but then read a few reviews for the Ricoh, that claimed that it was an outstanding camera in may ways, except one...did not perform well in low-light conditions.

So, I am still deciding. The question, if the camera is paired with the 2 strobes, is that still considered a low light environment?

Also, even though I have never done underwater photography yet, I have read the sites of some dive tour operators, and many of them have a problem with the use of strong flash (not good for the critters). So, that means I would be shooting in a low light environment, or not?

I believe that the low light conditions mentioned refer to the ability of the camera to focus on subjects under low light conditions. However, with the 110a you have a built in focus light that allows you to focus before taking the picture. I know that others have purchased focusing lights that they have attached to arm. Obviously, if you have a flash there will always be enough light available to take the picture as long as you are close enough to the subject. I have the DX-1G and really like it. It is fairly compact, offers a lot of options, and I think takes great pictures.

I notice on your profile that you have less than 24 dives. I would make two recommendations. First, I would get my buoyancy down pat before trying to take underwater photos. You need to feel real comfortable underwater when you are taking photos. You are trying to take a picture of a moving target while maintaining your depth and compensating for any current. It is not an easy task and that is why I would suggest you master buoyancy skills as well as feeling really comfortable with your diving skills. Second, I would suggest that you take a few underwater courses. PADI offers a course and there are several online courses that I think are very good. There are also several books that may be helpful. I took two courses from this site: The Underwater Photographer, Underwater Digital Photography Classes: Improve your underwater photos. I found both Bonnie and Marty to be very helpful and the courses are well written. That said, there is no better learning tool than experience so the more pictures you take the better you will become. I thoroughly enjoy taking underwater photos and have been gratified by seeing my pictures get better over time.

I would not hesitate to recommend the DX-2G and believe that you can get some great pictures from it. If you contact me if you have any questions.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks, the low light issue is mainly noise at ISO 200 and above, so I doubt that will be an issue underwater with the strobes.

However, I will also use it as a land camera, and so far all my digital compacts have been useless in low light situations. I have been especially disappointed with indoor photos taken in situations where flash is not appropriate (kickboxing matches, live shows etc.).

This is why I am now leaning towards the Nikon S90, although previous experience with Canon housings have not been good (flimsy). Will have to make a compromise soon.

I hear you about the experience needed with diving. I'm doing Peak Buoyancy this weekend, and will be diving every weekend for the next few months to improve that skill. My first real dive trip is in December, and I hope to get a camera by October so I'll have a few months to practice with it on land and underwater to get used to it

I don't remember seeing anything about a macro lens for the DX-1G...does anybody know if the macro for the 2G works with the 1G?

HI~ all,

This is Ivan, from Hong Kong and new to this forum~~

I would like to buy the S&S DX-2G housing as well but unfortunly tht i already have camera~~ any chance or place tht i can buy the housing only???

I have try to contact S&S but they said cant... /__\~~

Hi, Ivan the DX-2G is a package and the camera/housing are sold together. Unfortunately, you cannot buy the housing separately. You might put out a feeler on the scuba board classified section: Classifieds: Photography - ScubaBoard to see if anyone no longer has the camera but has a housing they might want to sell.

Regards,

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom