Dx-2g

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some time ago there was a discussion in this forum about whether a DX-2G could work in a DX-1G housing. The official answer then was "no way, absolutely not, we tried it, it doesn't."

I happened to be at a gear store today that had both on display, so I tried putting the DX-2G into a DX-1G housing and lo! Worked just peachy. Little trim on the edges of the LCD display, but who cares?

Except that I went home and found out that the DX-2G without a housing is some $730 (internet), vs. $999 with housing, which is kind of funny because I remember when I bought my DX-1G, and the housing sure cost a lot more than $260 back then!

With the DX-1G, the only difference from the Ricoh it was based on, was the addition of a built-in white-balance adjustment option. Which was totally irrelevant in RAW mode (what I shoot in) anyway. Is it the same thing with the DX-2G, that the only difference from the Ricoh GX200 is that white balance option?

Sea&Sea - if there is ANY other difference between them, can you spell out precisely what it is?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
djcheburashka, I am curious about the button placement on the 1G housing connecting to all the right buttons on the 2G. Do all the buttons on the 1G housing access all the buttons on the 2G camera? Did you try to access all the options on the 2G camera while using the 1G housing?

Regards,

Bill

The button placement? Before putting the 2G into the 1G housing, we lined the 2G and 1G housings up next to each other. The -only- difference we could identify between them (besides the LCD opening being just slightly larger on the 2G) was that the rear "replay" button on the 2G is about a milimeter to the left of where the "replay" button is on the 1G.

We did it without a battery in the 2G, but verified that all of the buttons, including the replay button, responded properly when clicked.

I guess the question is since there was no battery in the 2G, how can you verify that they all worked properly with the 2G in the housing? It would have been helpful if you had used your 1G battery to power up the 2G and then tried all the function buttons when it was in the 1G housing. Perhaps I am being overly cautious, but it would be a shame to invest the money into a GX200 and then find that some of the functions were different than what you would expect on the 1G. BTW, if you go on ebay, you can find the GX200 for around $360-$500 plus shipping. That would be a significant savings over buying the 2G housing and camera.

Regards,

Bill

While the case bodies are similar, the 1G and 2G are different and the button placements and width of the cameras vary - this impacts rear housing button line-up and extensions.
You should have tried it with battery in and you would have found that the Mode, Flash, Macro, Menu, and Fn2 buttons do not reach and/or line up in order to depress and activate on the camera. The top/front housing buttons do line up and can function - power, zoom, Disp, Adj, and command.

Tht interesting coz I am still looking for a housing for my GX200... coz since I can't affort for a whole package for 2G and definely I wanna find a housing of 2G but quite differcult to get it from second hand market....
If 1G can still be function in GX200, I believe I will try to search it/ even purchase a new set of 1G.....

While the case bodies are similar, the 1G and 2G are different and the button placements and width of the cameras vary - this impacts rear housing button line-up and extensions.
You should have tried it with battery in and you would have found that the Mode, Flash, Macro, Menu, and Fn2 buttons do not reach and/or line up in order to depress and activate on the camera. The top/front housing buttons do line up and can function - power, zoom, Disp, Adj, and command.

Bet? I'm serious - you guys have been saying this for a while, and it deterred me from attempting to upgrade before. I'm sure its deterred others.

Care to put your money where your mouth is?

djcheburashka, before you start sounding off, why don't you put your battery in the 2G, place it in a 1G housing and try it out. You will have much more credibility if you conduct a test rather than throwing out taunts.

Regards,

Bill

Bill -
I'm not concerned about my credibility. The reason I posted, was to find out if there are any differences between the GX200 and the DX-2G that I'm not aware of.

Sea & Sea has not answered that question. Instead, they have repeated the claim that the cameras are of different sizes and that the buttons won't line up.

I think that's nonsense, and I'm very prepared to purchase a GX200, or take a trip back to the store with my DX-1G battery.

But before I do that, I'm challenging Sea & Sea -- and it is absolutely their credibility on the line here -- to put their money where their mouth is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom