Dyslexic Diver needs advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newbie it seems to me you are going about things the right way. I am also dyslexic and your troubles are oh so familiar to me. But stick with it, I did and I made I through to instructor. One thing that I have always maintained is I do not have a learning disability, I just have a very different way of learning that does not fit in with mainstream education, and actually has many advantages once you discover them. The best analogy is a dyslexic brain runs on a different operating system it’s like apple and windows, one is not necessarily better than the other just not always compatible. so it is no good for an Apple to have a Windows instructor. You either need to find a compatible instructor or take the all the materials and self-learn or a combination of both, and with the practical work get as much practice as you can with heaps of repetition. Self-learning will probably be the key for you, I have found very few people who have been able to actually teach me so I had to learn to teach myself, take the information dissect it and reassemble it so it makes sense, once you learn how to do that it becomes a very powerful tool. Avoid instructors like the one you experienced in your OWC like the plague, you can’t learn from someone like that, I have also found more success with female instructors also. Good luck you will get there. And remember dyslexia is NOT a learning disability just a compatibility problem.

Extremely well put. Absolutely love your explanation. +1+1+1

And remember dyslexia is NOT a learning disability just a compatibility problem.

Kiwi,

Thanks for the encouragement!

I absolutely concur with you! I do NOT access dyslexia with a "learning disability". I realize medically that one has to put a label on it, but I live my life always knowing I have to do things differently when it comes to reading and numbers.

In truth, I NEVER share with anyone that I have dyslexia, and took a huge leap of faith posting this thread, as I consider all divers my brothers and sisters, and wanted to get real advise from you guys.

With Thomas Edison, Einstein, Leornardo di Venci, Picasso, Richard Branson, and Steven Spielberg (and the list goes on and on) all sharing dyslexia, I am in AMAZING company!

I just wanted to step out of the shadows and ask for tips, help, and real problem solving with the all the equations as each certification gets more intense and complicated (as it should be) from everyone on here that I respect...and trust!

Thanks again and its encouraging that you are an instructor, as thats the path I am seemingly on!

J.

Newbie, from what I have observed, people that are dyslexic are the hardest working people that I know. Perhaps the extra effort that you are willing to put towards learning translates well for other endeavours in life.

What I recommend is to sit in on a couple of open water sessions to see how much effort other people put in (or rather, don't put in) to their SCUBA education. I think you would be surprised by their cavalier attitude, always assuming that they don't really need to read the book or watch the video. Merely showing up will get them their certification card. That is why they are so shocked and angry when they don't receive it as expected.

I think that most instructors would be far happier having an interested, motivated student like yourself as opposed to a self- serving, self- centred, student with an entitlement issue.

I wish you well on your journey to Instructor.

JM,

Wow...thanks for the reply!

And I agree! Even in my OW class, I had one person in particular, who didn't read the course book, and only filled out the chapter questions on the last day. She actually tried to flirt her way thru the course, and announced to the class that she intended to be a instructor in a matter of months.

All I could think was, I don't want to be in the same water as she, knowing catastrophe will be her "scuba buddy"!!

Thanks again for the encouragement!
JA

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2012 at 10:38 AM ----------

Thanks Undrwater!

Will look into that!

Have a great Holiday!
JA

UPDATE:12-16-2012

I just got back from the "Blue Grotto" in North Eastern Florida and passed my Stress n' Rescue course and the Nitrox course with perfection (sayeth my Evil Instructor!)

So, add in my 50 dives, I am now officially a Master Diver! All within 3 months!

Who knew a harmless "resort dive" with Stewart Cove back in September to see if I would like Scuba; turn into this monstrous addiction!

Gonna celebrate by going to the Keys for a week and log more dives!

...life is good.

Thanks for EVERYONE who gave me encouragment. Gave me strength.

Oh, yeah...if you see a diver going in the opposite direction (dyslexia)....it's me! Stop me and say, "hi"!

I had a friend who was a sergeant in the army while I was a corporal. I had known him to be once of the most switched on and professional soldiers I had ever met. He could calculate grid references and firing solutions backwards and forwards. He was a top notch instructor as well. One day, while working together as staff on a course, someone made a remark about the candidates doing horribly that day and they all must be dyslexic or something... My friend spoke up and said that he was dyslexic and that the students were just being lazy from being beasted for a week straight.

I learned a lot about my friend that day that I never knew and through discussion with him I learned his method of coping with the military's teaching style and how he came to overcome and excel. I gained a great deal of respect for him that day and I had my eyes opened to new teaching styles and methods. It has served me well over the years with my own students and though I've lost touch with my friend in the years since we both left the military, I think of him often and thank him for making me a better teacher.

I applaud your determination and wish you all the best in your diving life!

I had a friend who was a sergeant in the army while I was a corporal. I had known him to be once of the most switched on and professional soldiers I had ever met. He could calculate grid references and firing solutions backwards and forwards. He was a top notch instructor as well. One day, while working together as staff on a course, someone made a remark about the candidates doing horribly that day and they all must be dyslexic or something... My friend spoke up and said that he was dyslexic and that the students were just being lazy from being beasted for a week straight.

I learned a lot about my friend that day that I never knew and through discussion with him I learned his method of coping with the military's teaching style and how he came to overcome and excel. I gained a great deal of respect for him that day and I had my eyes opened to new teaching styles and methods. It has served me well over the years with my own students and though I've lost touch with my friend in the years since we both left the military, I think of him often and thank him for making me a better teacher.

I applaud your determination and wish you all the best in your diving life!

Mr. Willoughby,

That was the most inspirational and encouraging letter one can over hope for. Thank you.

What I didn't share was that I did "practice rescues" with anyone and everyone, until I could do it blindfold. So when my Instructor saw that I was methodically going over each rescue, breaking it down, he sat back in wonderment.

Then he preceded to CHANGE the rescue skills for me, alone. Afterwards, he said he saw me go through each required rescue skill over and over, as I practiced and saw I could not do it better. So he put a lot more challenging scenerio before me. He did that on three separate dives. He wanted to see how I would do, thinking on my feet, and how I would react to that stress.

And I just relaxed, thought it through, and put what I learned to task, and it went off effotlessly.

With us Dyslexic's, one we learn it. We KNOW it. And we RETAIN it!

Thanks again for your thoughtful, meaningful letter.

JA.

You're very welcome NewbyScubyDoo.

I always think about just how small a person's act (like my friend saying he was dyslexic and how he overcame the challenges imposed on him) can change my own life. I am inspired by your story or perseverance as well and will remember your methods of learning for future use.

I'm glad to know that I am not the only person here who has Dyslexia. I might be hitting you up for advise when I start my OW Certification course, which I hope starts very soon.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom