E-420

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also at:

Now we have to see if the housing is the same.

If you mean, the same as the housing for the E-410, the answer is, "no." Olympus will have to come out with a new u/w housing for the E-420. If the new liveview is useable, I'm sure this small-sized dslr will be very popular with divers and housings will be available from Ike and others.

And why is that a 'mistake' for them? One engineering job, longer product lifespan, more units sold, should all equate to more profit per unit. Sure, some people could upgrade cameras without upgrading housings, but all things considered I'd bet that fewer people found it necessary to chase the camera releases than they gained off the volume effect. (And in fact, being able to reuse a housing might have prompted some to do incremental upgrades who otherwise would have stuck with their old camera longer rather than have to upgrade BOTH.)

I have no proof of any of the above, but seems to make sense to me. :)

Just my two cents worth...Oly typically doesn't make a housing for a camera that doesn't have its cutesy underwater modes. You're only hope would be Ikelite modifying their housing.

This is great news, I figured Olympus had abondoned the 'real' live view from the E330 onwards as the E-410 & E-510 had a Live-View that had a delay in shutter release.
Now this camera with its 10 megapixels, (real) Live View, On-Screen Auto Focus, Bigger LCD screen etc.. I'm sure when the housing manufacturers see it, they will make new models available.

I don't think it will be much of a problem to retrofit existing E-410 housings to fit the new E-420. The extra two tenths of an inch on the LCD fits into the same space as the E-410 now has and the only real problem may be the way the new front grip protrudes further forward than on the new E-420. I would expect to see new offerings as well since a new housing could be made to fit both cameras.
The 25 mm pancake lens (50 mm eqv.) is interesting as well. The 50/55 mm macro lenses were one of the most used lenses on 35 mm film cameras for U/W photography.
The Nikon and Canon lenses focused to twice life size (1:2) and were great lenses for fish shots. This new lens will focus to under seven (.177 meters) inches and equals the 1:2 size of the 35 mm. Nikon and Canons 50 mm non macro lenses focus to about 1.5 feet (.457 meters) and a 1:6.5 or so minimum focus range. It should work very well behind a very small dome or flat port and behind a flat port the AOV would be reduced even further.

Phil Rudin

Attachments

• 262652208_imr6w-S.jpg
    262652208_imr6w-S.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Olympus_E-420_muestras_7.jpg
    Olympus_E-420_muestras_7.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Olympus_E-420_muestras_9.jpg
    Olympus_E-420_muestras_9.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 40
Sounds like a better upgrade path than an e-3. If it has live view like the e-330, and a better screen.... that would be tempting.

RTRski,
I was being snarkey about Oly's marketing department. While I agree with all of your comments regarding the positives of such logical and efficient product development. Unfortunately real world companies don't behave that way.

They make a new product or improve a current one, then want to sell all new accessories for it.

Making live view truly live functioning is a big step forward with the E-420. The fact that such a compact and capable SLR will soon be available will probably cause me to make the change over from my SP-350.

Ce4jesus' comment about U/W modes being a strong indicator of U/W housing availability (by Olympus) is a very good observation. I didn't see any mention of an U/W mode in the brief write-up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom