E-log stamps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I still keep a paper log book after 300 dives. (#301 night before last, woo hoo!), but I also enjoy the added features with the Smart Trak electronic database log that came with my Uwatec computer. As people move away from the paper log books to E-logs, we're losing one of the fun parts about keeping a log book: collecting the stamps from the various dive operations and dive masters you encounter.

I just had a fantastic idea: what if the computer makers came up with a standard (it could happen!) way of putting a stamp into your computer. My computer has an InfraRed interface, so why not make it so we can point our computers at each other and trade stamps? They could be a tiny file, like .jpg or .gif that has our personal logo, and it would go into the other diver's dive log.

I realize not all dive computers have IR interfaces, but why not?

I'm going to be RICH!!! You can all say you knew me back when! I'd like to say more, but I gotta start shopping for a boat.

First instinct:- Why bother?
Second instinct:- Would take up too much space on the already tiny memory of dive computers anyway. That and most computers dont have bluetooth or IR. And most owners dont even own the download cable for them or bother to download dives anyway.

If you insist on getting cute little stamps of dives and want it electronically just get a diver to email you or put it on a usb stick.

Dude, you're bringing me down.

Getting somebody to e-mail me or use a USB stick is way more complicated than just pointing our computers at each other.

The file can be tiny.

Yeah that would be a cool idea, I think that it has to do with the area you came from. There have been a couple operators that I have been to that have a stamp, I have yet to have a DM or instructor that has their own stamp though. With how small they are making memory don't see it being that crazy of an idea as option.

Last edited:
Even 10kb is a hell of a lot of memory for a dive computer. That's a LOT of profile logging for example.

Not that i see the point with stamps anyway. Just a quickly scrawled signature with a pen on a log book if someone wants it will suffice.

When people start talking about computer memory and power I always remeind them that the Americans went to the moon and back on a 486 equivelant in what, 1968?

String, you've already registered that you don't like the idea. Fair enough; it isn't for everyone. But if you are going to keep on adding negative comments, I'm going to have to classify you as a nattering nabob of negativity.

Do people actually bother getting signatures and stamps?
I've never done it except for during the OWD course, and nobody I know do it either..

Back
Top Bottom