E-PL1 and PT-EP01 recommended Strobe and Video light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mantmich

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What do you recommended for a combined Strobe/video light and or seperate lights? Sample pictures and videos with the settings would be great.

If you travel to dive, I recommend the petite but powerful Inon s2000 strobes and a separate video/focus light.
The L&M sola lights or the Inon lights are good compact and bright options.

See this thread for more info and samples - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ol...some-pictures-review-my-e-pl1-underwater.html

you wanted a picture..
GC_SunsetHouse1920-03437.jpg

I am currently looking at the S&S YS-110a and the Oly ULF-2, which one would you recommend? Has anyone used either of these strobes with the PT EPO1?
Please provide sample pictures with settings. I am looking to start with only one strobe for now.

Definitely the S&S YS-110a over the olympus.

Is there any main drawback to having two different strobes? Say you already have one, and decide later that you want to upgrade your system and go to two. Assumeing the two different strobes fired together, would it make a major difference to an amateur just having fun, or would the photos be off?

Definitely the S&S YS-110a over the olympus.

Care to expand on that? Why? I understand that the Oly strobe with camera duo are a very good combo with lots of extra control that you can't get with a S&S or INON.

If you travel to dive, I recommend the petite but powerful Inon s2000 strobes and a separate video/focus light.
The L&M sola lights or the Inon lights are good compact and bright options.

See this thread for more info and samples - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ol...some-pictures-review-my-e-pl1-underwater.html

you wanted a picture..
GC_SunsetHouse1920-03437.jpg

How do you do frontlighting macro with the Sola sitting right there??.....Does it move out of the way fairly easily??.......TIA....

How do you do frontlighting macro with the Sola sitting right there??.....Does it move out of the way fairly easily??.......TIA....
The Sola can be moved back and out of the way pretty easily thanks to the u/l clamp, but I usually position strobes slightly from the sides anyway. You don't need to aim the strobes directly at subject. The s2000's have 110 degree wide spread with diffusers on.
I like to have a bit of shadow, so stay away from orthagonal lighting if possible.

I had an issue with s2000 constantly not firing for some reason. At about 20th dive it went completely dead. Sent it back for repair or replacement. Another issue was that I had to change camera and strobe batts every 2 dives. May be I should better go for Oly UFL-2 strobe cause it is more sophisticated and could be commanded by the camera strobe (than camera batt will last longer)? Is it really that much bigger that s2000? And how fast will it recharge so that I will be able to make another shot right away?

I had an issue with s2000 constantly not firing for some reason. At about 20th dive it went completely dead. Sent it back for repair or replacement. Another issue was that I had to change camera and strobe batts every 2 dives. May be I should better go for Oly UFL-2 strobe cause it is more sophisticated and could be commanded by the camera strobe (than camera batt will last longer)? Is it really that much bigger that s2000? And how fast will it recharge so that I will be able to make another shot right away?
Sorry to hear about your problems with the s2000. My experience has been very different. I can usually go for about 6 dives before having to change out batteries in the strobes, but usually do it at the end of the day whether I do 6 dives or 2.
I do change camera batteries after every two dives usually to be on the safe side.

Yes the UFL-2 is a lot bigger than the s2000

UFL-2 -
  • Beam angle 78 degrees
  • Recycle Time 5-Second with NiMH batteries
  • Flashes (Full Power) 200 with NiMH batteries at full power
  • Power Source AA batteries x2
  • Dimensions 3.54 x 4.33 x 5.51" (90 x 110 x 140mm)
  • Weight (Land) 14.99 oz (425g)
S-2000
  • Beam angle 105°(horizontal)×95°(vertical) [without a diffuser]
    110°×110°circular beam [with supplied -0.5 white diffuser]
  • Recycle Time 1.5-Second
  • Flashes (Full Power) Approx. 570 flashes : [NiMH batteries]
  • Power Source AA batteries x4
  • Dimensions 2.5" x 2.3" x 4.2" (83 x 63 x 106mm)
  • Weight (Land) 295g/10.4oz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom