Eagle River woman dead - Whittier, Alaska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a lot of countries you are legally obliged to continue CPR until a medical doctor tells you to stop.
It must be hell for the survivors mentally and physically, I get cramps after 2 minutes on a demo dummy

So what exactly would they do if you stopped?

So what exactly would they do if you stopped?
That depends on why you stopped. If you're physically incapable of continuing then nothing. If you just decide it isn't worth it then I'm sure there is some obscure manslaughter charge or civil suit the estate could levy against you.

In a lot of countries you are legally obliged to continue CPR until a medical doctor tells you to stop.
It must be hell for the survivors mentally and physically, I get cramps after 2 minutes on a demo dummy.
Can you give us examples of these laws?

Jackie

Can you give us examples of these laws?

Jackie
Most of Eu countries, you can be fined or even jailed if you did not render aid when you were able to.
You also can't be sued if you made things worse while doing it.

120 minutes of CPR is a long time.
Either way, if I could physically keep it up, I'd hate to give up. The news story mentions "officers" so I guess that there were at least two who took turns with compressions and mouth-to-mouth until paramedics could arrive. I admire their heroic attempts and am sorry they left the scene defeated.
An hour and 20 minutes is 80 minutes, but your point stands.

Considering this, all someone would need to do would be to say they 'don't know how', or (as politicians do) 'forgot' how to do cpr properly.

Back
Top Bottom