Ear ache 13 days after last dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
THe Ms. woke up today with an ear ache and a little dizziness. Last dive was on Friday (13 days ago in Cozumel) we flew out on Sunday after that. No problems at all while diving or since. Any chance this could be related to diving? She is headed to the doctor tomorrow but just wondering.

Hard to tell. Probably not related to the diving as it is 13 days out. Probably more likely a virus or bacteria you picked up from Coz.

Happened to me a couple of years ago... ear ache a couple of weeks after a dive... Turned out to be a slight infection. I use Swimmer's Ear after each dive, now -- no more issues...

An ear infection is my bet. It may or may not be related to the diving, but it sounds practically identical to an incident experienced by one of my friends after snorkeling on a cruise last month. Thirteen days is quite a long time for an infection to manifest, though. A couple weeks ago I got a minor ear infection within two days after diving (I probably shouldn't have been diving, as I had a slight cold). One ear filled up with fluid, but it drained after a few days, and I experienced little pain.

Sounds like an ear infection - can happen from other causes. I've had them without any diving. Oral antibiotics and those magic ear drops (think they have antibiotics and hydro-cortisone?) are my preferred treatment.

13 days sounds too long for a connection to me. Might have something to do with pollen counts.

Well, I'll be devil's advocate on this one. Diving could have easily started the chain that became an infection.

Usual showers and such aren't enough to cause an ear infection in most folks, but a day of diving plus the regular activites of daily life might do it. Using those Swimmers Ear drops after every day of diving should prevent reoccurances.

Q-tips? Don't do it!

The question is, is it an otitis externa (swimmers ear), or a middle ear infection?

Didn't a kid had two spiders in his ear about a week ago? I heard the doc took them out and gave it to him in a bottle. Them cozumel cockroaches have been known to set up shop in ears too!

fisherdvm:
The question is, is it an otitis externa (swimmers ear), or a middle ear infection?

Didn't a kid had two spiders in his ear about a week ago? I heard the doc took them out and gave it to him in a bottle. Them cozumel cockroaches have been known to set up shop in ears too!

:lol:​
:rofl3:

The pollen report for Newnan GA...

Pollen Forecast This Week is HIGH
Predominant pollen: Oak, Birch and Sycamore.
For more information, visit www.pollen.com

DandyDon:
Oral antibiotics and those magic ear drops (think they have antibiotics and hydro-cortisone?) are my preferred treatment.

Hi Don,

Indeed they do and they can be very effective, e.g., Ciprodex Otic.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Doctor said no infection. Probably just the allergies and stuff.

The discomfort was gone today but she still went to the Dr. as a precaution and her Dr. dives so she backed me up that the correct thing was to have it checked. Especially since we are back to Cozumel in about a month.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom