Ear Equalisation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So pre-equalising sort of add pressure that will counteract the pressure - giving space to continue pressurising further as you decend further?

I had some trouble with equalizing when I first started diving and still do if I haven't dove in several weeks. But the more I dive the easier it gets. I always pre-equalize and it seems to make things go much better for me. I just pinch my nose and blow gently just before my head goes under the water. It's kind of like getting a head-start and makes equalizing go much easier for me.

You equalise when walking? By doing that as the truck passes, does that affect how it sounds so you know it's worked? Am I understanding this right?... or is this a joke that my tired brain failed to register? :) Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No joke. If you do a "fake" yawn you will hear a "crackling" sound in your ears as your mouth opens to near it's widest point. I figure this must be the point when your ears are equalising. Those with in depth knowledge could possibly explain why and put it in better words than I have. If you "hold" that spot where they "crackle", you are in some way muffling your ears. Of course it's not as effective as plugging them with fingers on earlobes. But it muffles the sound of that truck or any loud thing--AND you don't look like a dork with fingers in his ears. This is also what I do when I descend, minus holding the "crackling" position of course. It can be done in rapid succession as well if necessary. I may have first discovered this on a plane? Again, I only have the basic understanding of this physiology, but my uneducated guess is that unless there is a medical anomally, almost anyone can do this-- and eliminate all the nose pinching/blowing/jaw moving, fenzel/valsalva stuff. I've read of a couple of people here and there doing this on SB. I've heard it referred to as equalizing "internally".

Hi Everyone,

I always have had issues equalizing, from time to time I try to find information on how to improve my situation. I found this video that comes from DAN. Best is always to go to a doctor, but I found it very informative and can help to identify if you have had issues. Around minute 25 it explains some things about equalizing and things you could do to improve it. worth to have a look!

Ears and Sinuses: Barotrauma for the Dive Professional - YouTube

its great because you can understand better what kind of problems you can have and its a reliable medical source!

The problem with pressure and ears is that, as you go down, the pressure outside exceeds the pressure in the middle ear. Since pressure equalizes essentially instantly across all the fluid-containing spaces of the body, that means you have higher pressure in the cells and capillaries of your ear than in the air spaces. This eventually leads to tissue swelling and fluid exudation into the middle ear, which is why new divers so often have some muffled hearing or crackling in their ears after their dives.

Yes, blowing air into your ears when you are not descending is raising the pressure in the middle ear above ambient, but that is tolerated very well so long as the overpressure is small, and anything you are comfortable doing is probably harmless. The eardrum is very well innervated and doesn't like being stretched, so you'll likely stop blowing air into your ear well before any damage occurs.

So the whole concept of "pre-pressurizing" is to avoid the negative pressure altogether. This not only minimizes fluid accumulation in the middle ear, but it keeps equalization easier, because when the middle ear is collapsing, it often changes the geometry so that the Eustachian tube doesn't want to open. In other words, the later you wait to equalize, the harder it is to do; by blowing air into the ear even when you don't really need it, you keep it easy.

How hard should you blow? Well, certainly not any harder than you would blow your nose into a Kleenex. If you are finding it necessary to blow extremely hard, either your Eustachian tubes aren't healthy (as when you have a cold) or you have waited too long to try. It should actually be pretty easy to pressurize your ears on land, and that will give you an idea of how hard you need to blow to do it underwater -- if you're having to try significantly harder, come up a ways and try again.

I use the equalisatioon technique when flying too! I pinch my nose and gently blow. what you are doing is moving air through the eustacian tube into the middle ear. you would have to blow helluva hard to damage your eardrum. When diving we generally dont have to do anything to relieve the increased pressure when ascending so if you practice blowing air into your ears it will very quickly re-equalise as if you were ascending from a dive. Its a good technique to learn and practice before diving. If you cant get some air into your ears on the surface, you are likely to have problems when descending.

I generally dont have problems with equalisation, I've just tried and my right ear was really squeaky! (I've just had a cold)

I prefer not to use sudafed when diving in case I end up with a reverse squeeze.

When I was doing my OW last year my left ear gave me a lot of problems. My right ear will equalize if I simply exhale hard through my nose. By practising daily over the last year, usually a few times a day, I've not only learned that my left ear requires my head to be in a certain position but also it seems to have relaxed or loosened up. I can now equalize the left ear with little effort. I just need to cock my head up and to the left and plug my nose and blow lightly. I definitely recommend practising often. A year ago it took me forever to get to 50ft and in fact after 6 dives I was done for a week because even being patient and trying every method known to man it ended up with a what I think was a mild barotrauma. Now, I can descend head first if I wanted to and have no issue clearing that same ear. Like the saying goes: Practice, practice, practice!

On advice here I found me recent pool session much easier with regard to equalising. I was on the bottom in no time and felt very comfortable. Thank you!! :)

(This may be a stupid question) Is there any point you need to stop equalising? When I am outside of the pool environment and diving deeper than 3.5 meters, do I have to equalise every few feet for the entire decent to 20 metes, 35 meters or 50 meters - whatever the depth may be?

On advice here I found me recent pool session much easier with regard to equalising. I was on the bottom in no time and felt very comfortable. Thank you!! :)

(This may be a stupid question) Is there any point you need to stop equalising? When I am outside of the pool environment and diving deeper than 3.5 meters, do I have to equalise every few feet for the entire decent to 20 metes, 35 meters or 50 meters - whatever the depth may be?

Any depth changes will require equalizing,the change in ambient pressure will dictate how much equalizing is required. As such the _biggest_ change in pressure is your initial descent to 10m where you double the pressure. Thereafter every 10m is 1ATA pressure more,so the difference between that and the total pressure will get less and less

My wife just got her Open Water certification. I was with during her first actual open water dives. I noticed that she kept removing the regulator from her mouth. I thought this maneuver was one of the certification exercises.

I later learned that she is unable to swallow with her mouth open or with the regulator in her mouth. So, what she was doing was:

• Remove the regulator
  • Close her mouth and lips
  • Swallow to equalize
  • Replace the regulator

She tried to equalize without swallowing, but this didn't work for her and she ended up blowing too hard and filling her inner ear with mucous.

I have tried to help her learn to swallow with her mouth open, but she just can't manage it. She seems unable to use her tongue to make the seal required for any easy swallow.

Any ideas?

She tried to equalize without swallowing, but this didn't work for her and she ended up blowing too hard and filling her inner ear with mucous.

I have tried to help her learn to swallow with her mouth open, but she just can't manage it. She seems unable to use her tongue to make the seal required for any easy swallow.

Any ideas?

I can empathize... I still need to swallow to equalize underwater. It takes longer, but nothing else works for me.

My idea would be to have her practice swallowing with a snorkel in her mouth (just around the house), until she gets it.

Back
Top Bottom