ear infections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't use any harsh cleaning agents. The only time in 4000+ dives I've ever had a severe (double) ear infection was after a trip to the Maldives, when I decided to experiment with using a swimmers' ear product for prevention. I would never use them again.

Harsh chemicals like alchohol, peroxide and vinegar strip away the protective wax inside the ear canal (yes, it is meant to be there for that purpose), can irritate the skin and leave the ear more prone to infection.

My routine now is to flush the ears with bottled water (just a capful per ear) after each dive. If the ears start to feel dry (the wax gets thinned by constant diving), then I will put a drop of olive oil into each ear at bedtime.

Never had a problem when I've used bottled water and olive oil. Most of the time I use nothing... and just make sure not to scratch or otherwise probe inside my ears with anything...

I am late to this thread, but still - ear problems are the most common issue of recreational divers and one simply has to learn & do what's needed, or else. It's certainly best to start with a doctor's exam and plan your preventions and treatments according to the medical pro's suggestions. If your ears are prone to dryness, ask him/her about using mineral oil. If you produce too much ear wax, forget that and ask him to show you how to irrigate your ears safely.

The best prevention for middle ear infection, Otitis Media aka 'ear infection', is in Bubbletrouble's Sig: Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page I don't understand why more Insts won't suggest that as it helps greatly.

For the more common Otitis Externa aka Swimmer's ear, the following seems best...
This happened to my husband on a dive trip in Mexico. He now uses swimmer's ear drops. They dry up the water inside your ear. He hasn't has an ear infection since.

ox0c2r1drDfQf3uTGuAlutYO1t0ufGMxpLXPtkC3AI5i8s8Obcvb_lSgmr5HIDSDqLBO7RnPUQ1T7vdlsMfBDv2exXPSMFlpyPbWNPgo14IB_xt_UGgIDKeoRflqODKra62G-wSfmgb75Kz1CpIEKYFCewOX
:thumb: That's alcohol, glycerin and water I think which dries the inside of the ears to prevent problems and sooth the ear. It's good, altho I like the homemade better. Save the bottle when it's empty to refill.

Alcohol & white vinegar mix seems the best overall. The US Navy requires its use for 3 minutes each dive day, each side. I just use some after every dive and every shower of a dive trip which seems to work well. Vinegar is not included in sold products as it breaks down too much after 30 days, but it's easy to mix. Dr.V here on SB suggestions 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 water. I use 1/2 - 50% alcohol and 1/2 vinegar to get about the same effect. Glycerin might help but too much trouble for me. If the mix causes pain, you may be too late - time to see a physician.

"Too Lazy": How much trouble can it be to mix a tablespoon of each and pour into the applicator bottle? Gawd. You can even use Tequila and salad bar vinegar if needed.

Hydrogen Peroxide is debatable. You can find sources that suggest it and others that warn it does too much damage. I shy away from it even tho it probably breaks down to harmless water quickly.

Finally, ask your doc about carrying Cortisporin Otic drops on trips. I get ear infections with my allergies so never travel without this treatment, anywhere, and it can save a dive trip! See cortisporin otic - Google Search

On my last dive trip to honduras I suffered an ear infection half way through the trip that was a serious bummer. I would like avoid this in the future and was wondering what measures ya'll take to assure that this doesnt happen. eardrops of some sort? magical flushing agents? black magic?

I use a few drops 190 proof grain alcohol in each ear after a dive in questionable water. This will take care of anything you picked up from the water and leave almost nothing behind when it dries. I would not recommend it for every dive but on vacation where you are not sure of the quality of the water it will save the second half of your trip.

Lake Ontario, shore dive, both my father and I develop infections, Eww. I just get the water out with shaking and seem to be okay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom