Ear pain after failure to equalise on second dive - should I cancel tomorrow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neil9327

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had my first open-water dives today as part of my PADI OW course. The first dive was fine - down to 5 meters. The second one was also fine - and I stayed there for 15 minutes before returning to the surface with the instructors.
But then we went down again, and although I thought I could equalise I got painful squeeze in the left ear only. Maybe I wasn't doing it right.
I went up a metre to where the pain was less and tried equalising again, but it was still painful. Had to give up in the end and return to the surface.

For the rest of the day the ear has felt like it's blocked, and it got fairly painful over the next two hours until I had a paracetamol, which stopped it.

The next session is tomorrow. Should I postpone it to a later week?

BTW reading the internet seems to suggest the "fullness" is caused by blood and fluids entering my middle ear. Is this likely to be the case in my case. Should I consult my GP (local doctor)?

Thanks

It's not really possible to diagnose over the internet, but it sounds likely that you have a bit (or more) of barotrauma. Yes, the full feeling is fluid accumulation in the middle ear due to periods of relative vacuum there. It is fairly unlikely that this will completely resolve by tomorrow -- although I have had my ears completely quit on me during pool dives, and be fine for the following morning. I don't think you need to cancel right now, but if you have any symptoms at all when you wake up in the morning, play it safe and don't dive.

Thanks!
Exactly the answer I'm looking for.

multiple shallow dives with varying profiles (often found in classes) often clog my ears and make dives later in the day difficult. Decongestant and Mucinex in combination often relieve the symptoms for later dives. This assumes you haven't done any damage requiring healing time. Just time the medication so it doesn't wear off while you're at the bottom!

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

As TSandM (and Scarlett O'hara in Gone With the Wind ) said, "Tomorrow's another day." Be careful, and do not push the issue, but ears can clear overnight. You might consider taking a single decongestant 1 hour before diving- I find the little red 4 hour sudafeds are very helpful. Just take 1. Let us know how it goes.
DivemasterDennis

neil
let me try and explain the logic, you will see the point more clearly.

you ear drum needs to equalise pressure on both sides, it is subjected to outside pressure on one side and pressure on the innner ear from the inside, the inside/outside pressure is equalised through a tube that connects the inner ear to your throat area, the pop you hear while equalizing ear as you descend (This process is called valsalva) is this tube (Called the Eustachian Tube) popping.

When it does not pop means there is some infection in the tube and it is blocked, more often than not it is the common cold. PCM wont do, you need to be able to pop your ear while on ground by gently blowing through your nose while holding it (dont over exert this could also cause rupture), either ways, if you dive and your ear does not equalize, you will have Otitic Barotrauma (Punture of your ear drums)

that is how simply i can put it

my 2c bit

PS
there is also something called Delayed Otitic barotrauma , we shall discuss that some other time :)

I experienced this myself during my OW dives, I had the same blocked feeling, and in my case I needed to equalize more often

As you're probably aware, you have your Eustachian tubes which allows you to pressurize your ear using a variety of manoeuvres (the most common being the Valsalva manoeuvres, pinching your nose and blowing into it), now, some divers have large Eustachian tubes, others have smaller tubes (which is my case, and could be yours too).

With smaller Eustachian tubes, you have to push slightly harder and equalize more often, you'll find the right rhytmn in time, but it's important you equalize often to protect your ear from harm.

Something which helps me is to stretch out my jaw and look up as I try to equalize, as this stretches and opens the Eustachian tubes.

One last thing you need to be cautious of if you're not equalizing enough, if you can't equalize at a greater depth, the pressure probably squeezed and closed your Eustachian tubes, and no matter how hard you push, you won't be able to equalize, so just ascend a few feet, and try again, simple as that :)

If you have the time, here's a great video which in my opinion, every diver should watch: The Diver's Ear - Under Pressure, part 1-6 - YouTube

Take care of yourself, and happy diving!

One last thing you need to be cautious of if you're not equalizing enough, if you can't equalize at a greater depth, the pressure probably squeezed and closed your Eustachian tubes, and no matter how hard you push, you won't be able to equalize, so just ascend a few feet, and try again, simple as that :)

Yes I think that was what happened with me. When I experienced the ear pain first of all during the dive at about 3 meters I rose to 2 meters to try to equalise, but failed. Instead of trying again and again I should have risen further, possibly to the surface.

I decided not to dive today, because this morning although the pain was gone, my ear still felt a little blocked.

The only disappointment is I'll have to wait for a month or so to get the next day (it is a small dive school). But I think it is better that than risking my hearing or other ear problems.

My right ear is always the challenge for me. Early on had experiences like yours, particularly if I did not start clearing at the surface or even before I get in. In my case, I had it checked out, nothing apparent, we just figure that
Eustachian tube is smaller or has some other permanent anomaly. (Do have hearing loss in that ear, but did construction for 15 years, shot guns, listen to rock.. it is what it is I'm told)

Have it checked out and learn more about clearing, learn how yours work.

Bob in CO

Discover scuba almost ruined me. From then on I equalize above water, as soon as my head goes under water and every 2-3 feet or so as I go down if i feel anything funky if i don't feel any pressure just keep descending.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom