Ear Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Updated information on my doctor's visit.

No water or fluid in the ear, infact he said it was "Pressure" which hasn't released that is causing it to feel like fluid buildup.

Don't understand, it's been 10 day's and it hasn't released. The other ear will clear but I've tried everything to get the left ear to release (open) and I can't.

He gave me a steriod to try for 3 day's, as well as taking sudafed to possibly open and release. I'm sure I've had something like this before, but I can't remember it taking 10 day's to release. I know when i fly it's usually around a few hours maybe, but this is not good.

I have my final class on sunday and if it doesn't release i won't go, unfortunatley we are to take our OWC next week so I don't know if i can do that either.

Really depressed on this, it just figures.

Any advice.

waterdogs

Just to clarify, the eustation tubes can swell and cause a problem with not being able to clear. Due to the infection, which was not caused by diving, but made worse, my son's eustation tubes are damaged permanetly. This causes him to not be able to clear on land sometimes. Flying is a problem and diving is totally out of the question.

At the end of the day, any ear problems are best looked at a doctor. This can prevent a minor problem from becoming a permanent condition that will rule out diving. Be safe, your ENT can be the best friend to a diver.

PS The ENT we went to for my son was recommended by D.A.N. He totally supports diving but had to rule it out permanetly for my son.

Waterdogs, don't be depressed. I had a similar problem after my final pool session and ended up delaying my OW dives by a week. Worked out okay, though... I got to do them in a nicer location. These days I make a point of coming up very slowly, especially the last few metres. I quite often pause about 1m (3ft)under the surface to give my ears a last chance to balance out. Works for me, anyway.

My advice, FWIW (not much -- I am not a doctor, etc), is to leave your ear alone for a couple of days and let the medication do its stuff. The valsalva manouevre pushes air into the ear, which is not what you want... might be better to give it a rest (if any of the doctors are around, do you have an opinion on this?).

Hope you feel better soon,

Zept

In a follow up to the earlier part of this post, time has gone by and still no resolve for my ear problem.

With last weeks visit to the ENT I thought I would find some resolve, but NOPE. ENT say's ears fine, that im just experiencing "pressure" which will not release. Doc gave me 3 day's of steriods (no help), sudafed (no help) and here i sit today wiggling my jaw for the last two weeks.

Needless to say', I missed class Sunday (our final class) will miss our OWC Sunday and continue to fight this release.

Zept told me she had it for awhile, but am I above the norm having this for 16 days?

Go figure, get geared up for this class thing, future wife agrees to take class (major accomplishment there) and I'm the one who get's us canceled.

Doc, have you or anyone on the board gone through long periods like this WITH THIS PROBLEM. No ear damage, JUST PRESSURE.

thanks,

waterdogs

PS- I can't take this anymore, im willing to try anything, acupuncture, hypnosis, whatever, i just want to finish class and do our OWC.

Still under pressure? The inner(oops, middle) ear is a mysterious thing. The eustachean tube, in particular, seems to react to seemingly minor stimulus. I have what's known as "tubair voluntaire", or something like that. In other words, I can voluntarily open the tubes anytime, instantly, just as you can voluntarily blink your eyes. However, if I drink a cold beverage this ability is lost for a few minutes. If I get water in the middle ear the ability is lost until all the water drains and the discomfort disappears. Trying to force it is completely useless. It's as if the pool of water behind the eardrum paralyzes any ability to open the tube. For me, the problem lasts about 24 hours. The day's diving is lost, kaput.

My feeling is that a nerve is being excited reflexively by discomfort attendant to water intrusion. There may be some swelling involved. You have to get rid of the water. Perhaps a steambath, steamer, or sauna would help. Keep trying, a warm puddle is where bacteria gather to throw a party.

Thanks, but the doc say's there is no water, just pressure, now how does that stay in place for two weeks. I've had the same feeling when i get off the plane, but that usually goes away once i hit the car in the parking lot. This won't go away.

waterdogs.

What the heck does that mean? Maybe the docs will know.

Perhaps some positive air pressure has developed and is being blocked? That would mean swelling.

All kinds of respiratory problems, except TB, seem more common today. It seems to be related to the unusually clean environment and crowded conditions that today's children grow up in. You could possibly have an allergy, but nobody here can second guess that.

I have never had ENT problems. I was raised with chickens and cattle.

Positive air, swelling, now that's the best answer i've received to date, even better than the ENT.

Still don't know what to do. Do i go back to the ENT, the one I go to is a DAN ENT. He didn't check me out last week because he wasn't available, but if it doesn't clear next week Im heading back to the DAN ENT for better advice.

thanks again.

Waterdogs,
I know this isn't the smartest thing to do...but, I had the same problem last spring...had the pressure after doing cold water dives. but, I dove a week later in Cozumel...the pressure let up. I made sure I made very slow assents & after a couple of days it was gone altogether (I was also taking Allerfrim).
Kim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom