Ear Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterdogs

Reaction score
I had to cut class short last week due to trying to equalize my left ear and couldn't, i believe while trying to equalize I opened the est.tube and got water behind the ear.

I've waited all week to try to get it out but it still feel's like its there. I've tried the valsalva method to clear, auro-dry, jumping up and down on left foot, everything, but to no avail.

I have class sunday and need that class before our OWC trip next week, any suggestions before I call the ENT today.

thanks,

waterdogs.

If I suspect I have gotten something other than air into the middle ear I'm off to see the ENT wizard at the earliest opportunity. Only bad things can come of waiting. I learned this lesson the hard way and have the tinnitus to prove it.
Rick

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I was able to clear, but it was difficult. It was the last dive of the weekend though. For 4 days I could not get the water out. I went to the ENT, and she said that it was filled with water. She gave me a 6 day steroid, and Profen Forte. In three days, my ear was cleared up. I highly suggest going to the ENT.

Yep...Rick is right, go see the Doctor asap. It could be an earwax problem too. I need to have my ears thoroghly flushed a couple times a year or ear wax buildup will cause water to be trapped in my ears. I waited too long last summer to get my ears cleaned and got a mild ear infection (btw very painful) because I didn't get it taken care of right away. Once it gets bad enough ear drops and home remedies won't work anymore.
I'm not in anyway saying that this is your problem but I know from personal experience that trapped water in your ear putting pressure on your ear drum can cause a similar effect of an unequalized ear. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

An FYI from experience. My son was a diver until he had a problem like yours. The eustation tube is the cause of a lot of problems in clearing. Since he did not want to miss the next weekend of diving, he did not say anything right a way. Unfortunately, his eustation tubes became infected. The infection left permanent damage and he is no longer able to dive. Don't want to scare anyone but maybe a leason learned to help others. Don't wait, see a ENT and be safe, not sorry. My son really misses diving.

As soon as the clock hits 9am here Im calling. I've waited to long for this class and our OWC next week to try and screw it up.

Thanks for the help, i was planning on going just didnt know if i was missing some other remedy that could help before i made the call.

thanks again,

waterdogs

Good Idea. As a matter of fact, i am going back to my ENT today just so they can check me out to make sure everything is AOK before my dives this weekend.

Hey, WrecnCaver, when I warned about this problem a few months ago a well known med reg said I was spreading misinformation. Of course, the "etiology" of the problem could still be argued.

If your inner ear is filled with water get it drained pronto.

Originally posted by devjr
Hey, WrecnCaver, when I warned about this problem a few months ago a well known med reg said I was spreading misinformation. Of course, the "etiology" of the problem could still be argued.

If your inner ear is filled with water get it drained pronto.

What I think that doctor was poking fun at is that the Eustachian Tube connects to the middle ear - not the inner. It's scuba anatomy 101 stuff. :dork:

If you truly have water in your inner ear, you have already seriously messed something up (rupture of round window perhaps?) and definitely need an ENT!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom