Ear Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bought these after i had problems in my OW classes.

I have since gotten at least 7 other people to buy them and they love them.

http://www.diveguide.com/e103.htm

Scubaddawg.....:skull:

P.S no i dont get paid from them to say this.

I'd go back to the doctor, especially if you can see a different one. You've taken your steroids, the pressure hasn't released... I'd say it's time for some more advice. What have you got to lose, other than the cost of the consultation?

Zept

Hey waterdogs:

Ears are very sensitive to pressure changes. If the air pressure in the middle ear behind the eardrum isn't pretty much identical to the ambient pressure, you'll feel it. It doesn't really matter whether the pressure in the middle ear is more or less than the ambient pressure, you'll still notice the difference. You can sense very minor pressure changes. Small barometric pressure changes with weather and short rides in elevators are easily noticible- particularly if you have trouble clearing. A ride in an airplane with a pressure change equivalent to an ascent to 8000' can be agony if you can't clear, and a dive can be downright dangerous.

If a person can't clear the pressuer in their middle ear, the "pressure" feeling will persist either until they can equalize the pressure, the ambient pressure just happens to be equal to the pressure in the middle ear, or they've had the condition so long their brain starts to ignore the input. Two minutes, two hours, two day, two weeks, or two years- however long it takes. Too bad there's not some magic trick that will work to clear the ears every time.

The best person to evaluate trouble equalizing ears is probably an ENT. And the best person to evaluate a diver's trouble clearing is probably an ENT familiar with diving- say one recommended by DAN. That evaluation can best be made in person.

HTH,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

Originally posted by Scubaddawg
Bought these after i had problems in my OW classes.

I have since gotten at least 7 other people to buy them and they love them.

http://www.diveguide.com/e103.htm

Scubaddawg.....:skull:

P.S no i dont get paid from them to say this.

So these worked for you? I think I am going to order a set for my next dive. I have a problem with getting swimmers ear real easy. I have found that hanging upside down and equalizing when I do my safety stop, and descending head first helps. However, this sounds like a good alternative. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the information. I will probably make another appointment next week. I've visited my ENT (DAN) two months ago before classes and didn't see any problems. This ocurred, and it's my fault, i believe i tried to equalize while i was floating upwards, and there she went.

I' tried taking a ride through the mountains, NOTHING. So, I will continue to wait.

Doc, I shouldn't try the valsalva method should I. I've tried it a couple of times, but since that pushes air through that 's not really going to help, but make matters worse, right?

Scubadawg, those earplugs, THEY WORK. Thought you could not wear earplugs while diving. Don't know if i need them yet. I was ok on my first two classes then this happend.

Thanks again.

water"inear"dog

Sorry to hear you still having problems. The ENT doc is still a divers best friend. With all the problems my son has had, we did find one thing that does help with clearing the pressure. It is called Clear-ease. It is a lozenge that helps with the problems of the eustation tubes. I am no doc, but they sure work for my son. You can find more info at www.sinus-relief.com. (I am not connected with this product other then as a consumer) I know several cold water divers that say it really helps them. Best of luck.

Originally posted by waterdogs

Scubadawg, those earplugs, THEY WORK. Thought you could not wear earplugs while diving. Don't know if i need them yet. I was ok on my first two classes then this happend.

Thanks again.

water"inear"dog

Yes this is true you should not wear earplugs while diving. But these plugs are specially designed for diving, they tell the whole theory on how they work ,on their website.
These plugs have a hole in them to equalize the pressure, the hole is called the "scott's valve".

My first OW dive was painful. 9 ft down and could not equalize. after repeated surfacing and descents to 10 ft i was able to finallly able to make one descent down to 35 ft and finish the requirements for the dive. soon as i got home i ordered the plugs . after i got them in the mail. i went to the pool to try them out...I went straight to the bottom...(9ft) no prob with equalizing just a quick blow and they were cleared. now i can just swallow and they clear..the more you use them the easier they work for you. i just cant say enough about them.. in closing i can say only one thing THEY WORK!

Scubaddawg :skull:

It will be a year this coming May. I have over 30 dives logged since I messed up my ear but I still pamper it. I've been to 3 ENTs and will have tests run again this June. The Doc thinks I have Meniere's but my problem developed while diving! It seems to be the eustachian tube, I believe. My ear gets weak so I can only handle a couple dives at a time. Coming down in an elevator in the Hancock building 4 days after air travel, my ear had a lot of pressure and I couldn't control the descent! It cleared but I was worried a bit at the time. No diving since last September but my ear still gets full feeling and tingles so that I want to itch it. I swear if I think about it, it swells! But as long as I have control over my ascents and descents, I'm okay. By the way I use ProEars. Always looking for suggestions. The Doc's can't find anything wrong.

Dawn!?!?---is that you? I hope so since I've lost all the contact info for you and Scott.

Hi Jim, Yes it's me! We are still here and getting ready for diving. Planning a trip with family & friends to Florida. How is your daughter doing? Have you done any dives this winter? I also lost email addresses. Scott wants to know if you are ready to get COLD in a month or so?
Later,
Dawn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom