Earplugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnya1966

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been diving for about 3 months now. Have my advanced, wreck and deep certification. I started out getting lots of water in my ears and even an infection one one occasion. I turned to using specialized earplugs, which works fine.

Has anyone used them and managed to "ween" themselves off of the earplugs. I get no water in my ears anymore. I used to get a little bit even with the earplugs. I have logged 40 dives now and nothing in my ears anymore.

I am hesitant to not use them as I don't want to take a chance at getting more ear infections. But am tired of having to stick them in my ears for every dive.

Interesting. I found that the hood does the same job as the plugs of keeping water from going deep into the ears (some may get in). I only use the plugs in the pool. After each dive, plugs or hood, I use ear drops which clear out all water promptly (within half hour). No more infections and rarely any itching. You may want to try going plugless then using ear drops?

+1 for using post dive treatment to prevent swimmers ear, you will see this thread develop into several recipes for home made concoctions of mixes using alcohol and vinegar (mine is a 2:1 mix and 5 mins in each ear).

I also use pre-dive treatment with Earol many UK dive shops sell it, and to have triple insurance I also use a mask with ear covers. Hey if I could get these ear plugs where I live I would be using them too as I have had a few dive trips cut short due to ear infections, twice in Malaysia and twice in Philippines.

I use the plugs because they help me equalize. If you're more concerned with ear infections you might try consistent use of a swimmers ear solution. (Although you might not want to mess with success...)

Like Searcaigh says. Use the treatment. Make sure you keep it in 5 minutes minimum. That is the key. Research was done in the Navy about this and the time was a determining factor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom