Ears after diving a lot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, it happens to me as well. As long as it isn't painful or causes anything else to suddenly happen then you should be solid.

Also I do not like the mask I am using, besides old & leaky the plastic frame ( around the lense ) is too close to the nose guard which combined with the regulator in you´r mouth restricts acess to pinch you´r nose to help equalizing, I will be taking a new mask on my next dive and will take this into consideration the next time I buy one..

A oversized / exagerated lense with a big rigid plastic frame combined with regulator in mouth does not help us less experienced divers to equalize... :no:

Corlett, sleep with your bad ear toward the pillow. Has anyone examined your ear yet? Are the drops over the counter?

Corlett, sleep with your bad ear toward the pillow. Has anyone examined your ear yet? Are the drops over the counter?

Not been examined yet, I don´t think it is too serious, only hurts a little when I put drops in ( Mack´s Dry-n-clear, ear drying aid ) sold over the counter, I will not put any more drops in and indeed as you rightly say sleep with the bad ear ( right ) on the pillow, with any luck it wil drain naturally during the night and no doctor required, if not .... It´s just one of those things that happens and will need to sit in the waiting room for hours at the health centre...

:crying:

---------- Post added June 21st, 2014 at 01:27 PM ----------

Sorry for Hijacking your thread Simon J Rogers

This morning I couldn´t take it any longer, stabbing pain in elft ear, went to doctors, result, infection & inflamation.
an 8 day course of eardrops, 8 / 8 Hrs, nasal spray, antiinflamatory & antibiotics 12 / 12 Hrs.

Hope to be back in the water soon, will go to the gym whilst waiting to dive again and improve my fitness & resistence as well as study the theory..

I'm a new diver, as well. Completed my open water diver cert last fall and haven't yet been in the water this year. After my last OWD, I noticed that my right ear took about a week to normalize. It was s quite annoying but not painful. Went to the doc and found nothing out of order. I'm 62 and he said that as a late starter, mu cells, including ear drum, s have less collagen than a younger person and therefore not as pliable. As such, it may take a bit of time for my ears to condition to the flexing due to pressure change. I also suffer from seasonal allergies. He felt the issue had more to do with that, so he put me on a permanent regimen of Flonase, twice a day. He assured me that continued diving at gradually increased depths, combined with the Flonase, I would be in good shape. I hope that he's right. I absolutely love this new sport and was, frankly, a bit gun shy about going down and hurting my ears. Now I can't wait to see how it goes. I too need to be working on buoyancy and other basic fundamentals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it may happen to all us less experienced diver´s
Hence the reason as te quiz reviews say, if you can´t equalize you should , stop ascend a metre / few feet and attempt to equalize again

The same thing happened to me when I first started flying.
I think the body becomes more aware of pressure changes as one changes pressure levels more frequently, don't really know, I'm not a doctor.

But I did find that it wasn't a bad thing.

Safe dives . . . . .
. . . safer ascents

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom