Earthquake while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ange2014

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there,

Has anyone ever experienced an earthquake while diving? What was it like? What kind of risks do earthquakes pose to divers under water and what does one need to do if caught in a sufficiently major one?

Thanks in advance for your response.

I have been diving during several earthquakes in Indo. Most of the time, we didn't even know until we were back in the shop. Fishes do come out of their corals though, but you don't really think about an earthquake at the time. Only once we heard a minor rumble.

Last edited:
Have dived through five I know of - mostly in the magnitude 5 range but one big one - 8.6 off Sumatras west coast...I felt nothing. In Vanuatu where they're pretty much weekly if not more I watched a crevice in a reef "breathe" which alerted me to an event of some sort. Have also only known when we got back to land. On Bangka in the days before wifi or phones a small tsunami type wave came through the night - we didn't know til we got back to Manado there was a reason we suddenly had on ocean bungalows :D

Really I guess your question leads to risk - there is generally none - which leads to the Tsunami question - the risk is being in shallow water. Tsunamis need certain conditions and they get their run up and height in shallow waters. All quakes are different, not all are noticeable not all create tsunamis.

So risk wise - minimal to barely existent. Statistically...

Living in California, I have dived through a few relatively small earthquakes and had no idea until well after I surfaced they had occurred. I don't plan on being "down under" for The Big One though.

I don't plan on being "down under" for The Big One though.
You ARE going to let us know the days you don't dive and the reason why, right? :)

Thank you for all your response. Good to know there is minimal risk.

I experienced two quakes this year about 10 seconds apart. The second one was a 6.0 with the epicenter less than a mile away. Living in California I am “used” to small quakes but under water it is a bit different. On land you move but under water you really see the bottom moving which was a bit bizarre at first. Water also transmits sounds very well so it was quite noisy. I got a bit of vertigo during the second quake but nothing too bad. Staying calm is the key here as with most things in life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom