Easiest current Scubapro 1st and 2nd stage to DIY repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@couv the dealers aren't allowed to ship that stuff to the US per their dealership agreements. Several have lost dealerships because of it, particularly Apeks...

the dealers aren't allowed to ship that stuff to the US per their dealership agreements.
I see. Not by law, but by manufacturer's policy. I suppose they want to help protect the US dive shops' income sources.

I see. Not by law, but by manufacturer's policy. I suppose they want to help protect the US dive shops' income sources.
We may come out of these times with a new reality and not enough surviving shops to continue this antiquated policy. New revenue sources are going to be available with training for the people who want it and parts easily obtainable, or they can try to continue with the old business model.

I was able to get SP parts for an MK25 same-day from a local dive shop...just over the phone...and when I picked up, I did not show a cert card or anything. I have not done business with this shop in over a decade and know nobody there.

However, when talking to the shop workers...they acknowledged that they were not supposed to sell them...that SP would bark at them if it was found out...but they were not warning me to say anything, it was my saying these parts can be hard to find.

Anyway, @halocline is correct, you can ask on here and my own experience has been wonderful for getting SP parts from folks on this website forum :)

From what I hear, Deep 6 is the regs I would choose for DIY...and I have seen their manuals online. You do have to search a bit, but they really are there.

Personally, I have serviced these 2nd stages: G250, G500/B, S600 [Gen 1, 2, 4], G250HP, R380, R390, R395. I have serviced these 1st stages: MK20, MK25, MK14.

The easiest are the R series followed by the G series, and then the S series. None are terribly complicated...the R series is a classic downstream and different than the G and S, which are balanced 2nd stages. Balanced either have a plug or a knob...knobs have a bit more o-rings and may also require a bit more tuning. But that just adds a little time.

The 1st stages, MK20/25 are piston regs...and pretty straightforward to rebuild...and a very robust and proven design. IMHO, not complex at all. The MK14 (like the popular MK17) is a diaphragm reg...and IMHO, more complex and more parts...but also robust and well proven...and can be environmentally sealed...so not susceptible to silt, muck, salt crystals as much as the piston regs. Pros and cons.

These all require a few special tools that you can also get from Scuba Tools.

Of course, as others said...get those regulator service manuals first...read up if it makes sense and it what you want to proceed with. Then go for the regs, tools, etc.

Just my $0.02 :)

Also, I find the reg service somewhat easy...as initially, I took this process very seriously and sought out as much valid info as I could find. Now, since I service my regs annually...I have a bit of relearning each year and must be careful to have good organization so I can step back into the role of regulator service technician every time.

So, it is an investment. I also chose to dive the same 1st and 2nd stages (SM diver so I dive two sets)...this makes service much less complicated (tool-wise and parts-wise).

correct, it's not uncommon for industries to prohibit sales of various things outside of their jurisdiction. Was a HUGE issue with Revo in Florida a few years ago because of dealers crossing boundaries. Had another one with Dive Xtras a few months ago in Florida as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom