East Timor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from East Timor. I must say I really enjoyed the place. Friendly people, no crazy traffic in Dili. Plenty of good food and very inexpensive wine and alcohol (living in Indonesia our wine prices are ridiculous). I spent 3 nights on Atauro and thought it was a cool island. Only got to do 3 dives and not there at the best time of year to see cetaceans but hit two very nice coral reefs. Can't say a lot about the diving as that's all I did, a very beautiful coral garden is always big on my list. Accommodations are quaint, where I was staying there was electricity from 6pm to 7 or 8am, fan only. Not sure if the 2 dive centres have rooms with AC. There is a dive centre on the island that has been there for around 15 years, beautiful grounds and a lovely white sandy beach. If you enjoy a relaxed and quiet place mixed with some diving then Atauro would be a good option. I will go back for sure to hopefully see more of the UW and run into some blue whales!

Awesome Mike! Thanks, that's the kind of info I sought. Love me some beautiful coral beds but gotta have my AC too. But inexpensive wine, hmmmm
Red wine but no AC? Hmmmm

Prices?

Oh and I guess I should also ask, is it OK for a female traveling alone?

Oh and I guess I should also ask, is it OK for a female traveling alone?
yes, It is very safe from what I can gather. You can also stay in Dili and dive from there (and have AC and cheaper wine haha) there are two shops that I saw: Aquatica and Compass Divers but I think there is also a third. They do a mix of diving along the coast and also to Atauro, Atauro is a bit like Nusa Penida from Sanur, about one hour by speed boat away. The pricing for diving I am not sure about, I was there for a different thing. I can't remember the name of the resort/padi dive centre on the island but is owned by an Aussie/local couple. I would think diving from the island may be cheaper than diving from the mainland.

I'm excited now! Will be looking into it. Thanks so much

Wakatobi is not as expensive as many people think.
The infamour luxury resort Wakatobi Dive Resort is not the only choice on the arquipelago.
You can definitely be land based, have a proper accomodation for 20 to 50 usd / day and boat dive for 40ish dollar.

Wakatobi is not as expensive as many people think.
The infamour luxury resort Wakatobi Dive Resort is not the only choice on the arquipelago.
You can definitely be land based, have a proper accomodation for 20 to 50 usd / day and boat dive for 40ish dollar.

Do tell! And best way to.get there from, say Singapore or Bali please?

Only problem being the lack of people speaking english to answer to your inquiries.
Basically, from Bali or SG you have to flight through Makassar and Kendari to reach wangi-wangi airport which is on the main island of Wakatobi.
From here you go in town and find the hotel and divecenter that suits you.
I should be around starting from June / July let me know if come around !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom