easter island water temps in south american winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lizardqueen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found a couple of Easter Island [Rapa Nui] trip reports, but not from people who went when I'm going - which is this July, the middle of their winter. Would love to hear from anyone who's been there, thanks !

I haven't been, but I was supposed to go in april, but trip got put off until june or august. From what I've heard the water temps in winter are about 18*C (about 64*F). I don't remember the details of what I was told about viz, but it was much more than I'm used to in central chile, IIRC it was about 30m or so in winter. The big deal is getting days that the boats can go out in, as (again from what I hear) there are many more really big swell days than there are days that are navigable. The main dive operation also rents surfboards, so I hope you can surf to pass the time, I know I'm hoping to get some surfing time in while there.

If I do go in june, I'll be sure to get you a trip report before you go.

Well, I'm gonna go play a little game called go insane while I wait for this mess to get sorted out :wink:

I dove there a few weeks ago. Viz is out of this world! I went with Orca rather than Mike Rapu and they seemed to have decent hire gear if you don't take your own (I hired everything). We sadly only got to go off Hanga Roa Bay (Anchor Reef - where they sunk the concrete Moai) because of the weather and not to some of the further out sites, but it was still pretty sweet :D Honestly, after the issues I had with the guide I hired topside, the diving turned out to be the highlight of the whole 5 days.

coming from west oz that's high praise for diving - I'll check with orca 1st since I fear rental gear!

Still getting my head around the gallery section, and underwater photography in general, but here's a couple of photos I took :)

Still getting my head around the gallery section, and underwater photography in general, but here's a couple of photos I took :)

Thanks for the pics WetPup, Easter Island diving is something you don't hear too much about. It sounds fascinating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom