eating and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to know. Being a diabetic as well, it's nice to hear other peoples' tips.

--Adam

I second the power gels before my second dive, on my last dive during our safety stop I tried a gel underwater and had no problems, a little saltier than normal but still good. From now on they will be coming under with me just in case.

I've found that bananas (yes, I've come to the conclusion that my boat won't sink with them onboard) and peanut butter sandwiches on whole wheat bread are good between dives.
Yes for peanut butter on wheat with bananas. Although I do add in an apple for the texture and jelly in my sandwich for the sugar kick. I also like to drink some Gatorade AM preceding the dive. It's not as strong as regular Gatorade but still gets me hydrated, not to mention the mango flavored one is yummy!

I get sea sick just looking at a painting with an ocean in it, which makes for some classic pre-dive briefings. All of my students know why to check which side of the boat the wind is blowing from. Over the years I've found Nutterbutter cookies to be the best thing ever. Taste the same way going out that they did going in.

I've blown chunks a few times after eating a full meal then going diving. What happens is the stabalizing belt of the BCD rides up over the stomach putting pressure on the full belly causing one to puke. :11doh:Now i just eat a couple pieces of fruit between the dives. Eating just fruit makes for a great weightloss program too! :wink:

The OP is from IL. so I would assume that the OP isnt talking about a boat dive or ocean dive?...... I see that you have under 50 dives, so it may be nervousness.

I run triathlons and I get an upset stomach before EVERY race. Sometimes I even loose my "cookies". I tried peanut butter, bananna's, engery bars and goo packets. Citrus items seems to make it worse. Nothing has worked for me yet.

I've learned the same about citric acid (as it traps water in your stomach and thus can lead to dehydration), but not about Vitamin C. What's the problem there?

Can't say for sure why the vitamin C too. It is something I was told by an avid runner and I've had no upset stomach problems during running following that advice.

What Happens if you have soda before a dive? Cause ive had that and ive had like air bubbles but luckily i would burp and they would go away

I tend to get queezy (sp?) during dives also. If I'm feeling pretty bad I just eat pretzels. If I'm having a good day I really like to eat grapes and a trail mix without chocolate in it. I also take half a non-drowsy dramamine if I'm diving in the local quarry and a whole one if I'm doing a boat dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom