Eating in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We say wing it as well. But we often stop at a grocery store the 1st or 2nd day there and just eat in for lunch and dinner (we always stay at Buddy). As for restaurants, the three best (in my husband and my opinions) are Casablanca, Cactus Blue, and Wil's. Have fun!

And also agree with Richard!

I agree with drrich, there are lots of good ( not great ) places to go for dinner and prices are quite reasonable at most. Would add some of the local places like Mi Bananna, and the Rose Inn, and I think the pizza is much better at Habitat than at Pasa Bon. Buddys and Ellies Deli across the street are fine for lunch if you are not into do it yourself.

As most have said, Eat the breakfast at Buddies. We bring ramen noodles (light) and have leftovers from a dinner out the night before. We like Casablanca with the grass fed Argentinian beef that is not porked up on steroid, chemicals, grains like here in the us.

Well I am all booked for the 3rd. week of Sept. I opted out of the meal plan as recomended, I did go for a studio, so I do have some in room dining options. Looking forward to our first blue water diving in several years, since starting a family!!

and I think the pizza is much better at Habitat than at Pasa Bon.

Damning with faint praise...

:d

I'm with the group that recommends breakfast buffet, PB&J/etc for lunch, and a nice dinner.

Also, bring your favorite powdered ice tea/lemonade/gatorade/etc. Buy a few bottles of water when you get there and then refill/mix/freeze throughout the week. You'll probably save $75+ per person on soft drinks throughout the week, as well as cut way back on plastic waste.

We like Casablanca with the grass fed Argentinian beef that is not porked up on steroid, chemicals, grains like here in the us.

Speaking of Casablanca, be sure to go and get the "Mixed Grill for Two". It as a ridiculous amount of food that you can eat on for days. I just checked and they still offer it.

I think the food on Bonaire is fantastic. It can vary drammatically though depending on where you go. In general, I like to stay away from the big hotels as the food at those places (I am talking about you Buddy Dive and Capt Dons) is overpriced and not that great. The only exception to that rule in my opinion is the Tipsy Seagull at the Plaza. The TS is very good but a bit expensive.

My favorite two places on the island are Appetite and At Sea. Get the chef's choice at Appetite and you will be in for a wonderful meal. At Sea is also quite good with a unique menu that is more European. Mona Lisa is also another good one. El Fogon for great local food.

Don't miss Maicky Snack and the Rose Inn for lunch. They both make a great Goat Stew. Rose Inn also has the "coldiest beer" on the island! A nice drift dive from La Dania's Leap to Karpata followed by lunch at the Rose Inn makes for a great afternoon. Cap that off with a dive at Taylor Made and well...hard to beat.

I know this thread is about food, but if you get a chance, go on a UV night dive with VIP Divers. It is a wonderful shop and Bas knows his food!

Last edited:
We tend to buy a ton of fruit and eggs. We have breakfast in the room but if we were at a hotel would get the breakfast option. I boil a bunch of eggs for snacks. Slice a bunch of mangos and pineapple each day. I also bring a little folding cooler. That way, if we are at the ends of the island, we have food to eat between dives. We may take enough to dive three tanks each. Stay a long time with surface intervals. Snack on fruit/eggs, maybe some sandwiches. Vegetarian options are much cheaper on the island than meats from the grocery.
On the way back to town, depending on if we dived north or south, there are often options to eat off the beaten track at small places with local fare.
We tend to dive the ends of the island, north and south.
We come back to the condo (rented buy-owner), rest-up and gear up for a night dive. After our night dive, we either have food that we fix in the room or go out for something easy and close to the condo, typically pizza or Buddy's.

yeah, fruits and veges are always a must grab. I would suggest NOT getting these from the Venezuelan guys right in town. They seem to be quite the ripoff and the fruit was not that good. the big supermarkets like Warehouse have better fruit at a much better price. the Chinese bodega/market near Captain Don's sometimes has some good fruit options as well. They also have one of the better beer selections on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom