Ebay quilted or fourth element undergarment in 44 deg / tri-lam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dstrout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Subject says it all. I tried out my new tri-lam suit (Mares Polar-fit) in 44 deg water with a pair of wool long-johns, doubled smartwool socks, and a long-sleeve cotton henley. I froze badly, mostly my shoulders and torso. Legs were fine.

So I'm shopping for better undergarments. I see good things about both Ron's quilted undergarments and the fourth element arctic. Since there is a $220 difference between the two, I'd appreciate any advice.

The water is 44 deg and I'm hoping to get 2 or 3 1-hr. dives. I have a 6.5mm hood and 5mm gloves.

thanks,
dave.

I just got a set of 4th Element Arctic undergarments, and have now done about five dives in them. Water temps were 46F to 52F. I was chilled at the end of longer dives, especially during deco. I would layer something under the 4th Element Arctic for water colder than mid 50's. That said, I was MUCH warmer than i would have been wearing my Whites Mk2 undergarment. I was not wearing the booties - I prefer a couple pairs of hunting socks. I was using a 5mm hood and 5mm gloves.

Max Gilbert
DSAT Tec Deep Instructor

Subject says it all. I tried out my new tri-lam suit (Mares Polar-fit) in 44 deg water with a pair of wool long-johns, doubled smartwool socks, and a long-sleeve cotton henley. I froze badly, mostly my shoulders and torso. Legs were fine.

So I'm shopping for better undergarments. I see good things about both Ron's quilted undergarments and the fourth element arctic. Since there is a $220 difference between the two, I'd appreciate any advice.

The water is 44 deg and I'm hoping to get 2 or 3 1-hr. dives. I have a 6.5mm hood and 5mm gloves.

thanks,
dave.

Look at the glacier 3 underwear, they are good to 34degrees, Call beverly, at indian Valley Scuba 1-215-256-6000, they are very knowledgeable store.:D

I've used Ron's undergarments over a warm base layer in 39* water and was warm. I forget which model but it was the colder rated multipanel flex ones. The only thing I didn't like was they were very thick and bouyant so I got a set of Arctics. The arctics are fine for me in dives under and hour with temps down into the mid forties, but I do use a base layer or two. Even then though it's doable, I still get a little cold by the end of the second dive. For longer and colder dives I use 4th Elements SubXero's and those do the job well, I can knock out several dives with water temps in the 30*'s and be fine. I have a buddy who uses DUI's newer 450 gram undies and says he likes them more than the subXeros. Also a few others I've dove with are extremely pleased with their Weezle Extreme+.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom