Ebay Scuba Compressors?! >$300, but too Dangerous? Please share thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry Iain, but I am a fairly dumb diver and haven't had my first coffee of the day yet. Are you serious about these cheap compressors being a viable option by spending a minimal amount of upgraded filtration, or am I missing something here, that I might pick up if I spent more time on site ?
Irony, satire or maybe even sarcasm but definately not a testimonial. Look at Iain's other posts and you will understand why.

Sorry Iain, but I am a fairly dumb diver and haven't had my first coffee of the day yet. Are you serious about these cheap compressors being a viable option by spending a minimal amount of upgraded filtration, or am I missing something here, that I might pick up if I spent more time on site ?
Humans have evolved from taking two full weeks to learn scuba diving to doing it all in 3 days; from flying to their dive destination 8 in a row to leisurely enjoying a 10 in a row experience in the same airframe; from needing to painstakingly plan and execute their own dives to instabuddying and following the DM with a comfortable, familiar bicycle kick.

So it stands to reason there's no reason we can't evolve to breathe carbon monoxide - you might pick it up just giving it more time!

I think they are great, you just need some upgrades.

A filter system for $1k
A cheap timer so you can run it for 10 minutes every hour so it wont overheat. $5
And you need 12 of them so you can fill your cylinders in a resonable time. $3600

Just put them on the timers so they run 2 at a time and you start it when you go to sleep every night it will probably be ready in the morning.

So for just $4660 you can get a working compressor system out of it.

//Master of making expensive solutions of cheap crap.

It actually does come in black :p

This is a question of convenience. Its a $15 fill for me with a 1/2 hour drive in each direction and then hanging around while they get filled. Not the end of the world, but filling tanks is a pain for me.

What would be required to bring this compressor upto sufficient spec? I know there is not alot of love for Chinese [knockoff] equiptment on this forum, but without shooting the idea down, can we discuss what is missing here for it to be real?

An alternative could be a filter like this, although at that point you have contaminated your tank.

I have done research into scuba compressors in the past, but am no expert. Please help me learn :)

You will need to have moisture separation to remove the condensate and any oil it pumps through. Then you will need to process what is left to clean, dry and scrub CO plus remove any odor or taste. You would need to toss almost a thousand into the pot to get that done.

So to answer your question ... yes, it is possible.

That same seller sells these filters for another $ 200;
s-l1600.jpg

vr4 you appear to be looking seriously at this unit. I would suggest that you do not consider it as a suitable substitute for a breathing air compressor. Maybe it could be used for paintball but I would still be concerned about safety. Take a look at what real breathing air filters consist of and compare it to the simple activated charcoal that these filters contain. If you would take some time to learn a little more about scuba compressors you will quickly come to the same conclusion.

And you need 12 of them so you can fill your cylinders in a resonable time. $3600
You're just using them wrong. The link says 15 minutes to fill one liter and 5 minutes to fill a 450cc tank - that's the cylinders they're meant for.

Clearly, what these compressors are a perfect match for is technical scorkling. Put one on your pool float, tow it by the hose, and use it to refill your left-hand spareair while you're breathing off your right-hand one! Repeat with your behind-the-left-ear, behind-the-right-ear, and bottom-inset spareairs; leave your travel spareair at cave entrance to refill and use it as a stage on your way back - truly, the possibilities are limited only by your lifespan!

Last edited:
You're just using them wrong. The link says 15 minutes to fill one liter and 5 minutes to fill a 450cc tank - that's the cylinders they're meant for.

Clearly, what these compressors are a perfect match for is technical scorkling. Put one on your pool float, tow it by the hose, and use it to refill your left-hand spareair while you're breathing off your right-hand one! Repeat with your behind-the-left-ear, behind-the-right-ear, and bottom-inset spareairs; leave your travel spareair at cave entrance to refill and use it as a stage on your way back - truly, the possibilities are limited only by your lifespan!

Alternatively a 15 post manifold for redundancy and volume maybe?
Yea that's the ticket!

That same seller sells these filters for another $ 200;

Stop looking at things like this on ebay for the solution...

This is beginning to have the indication of trolling.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom