Economical doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP, if you were to double up your 80's would they be Catalina's or Luxfer's?

eh hem...

RAZOR = FAST CHEAP EASY DOUBLE 80'S

no mainfold or bands or left/right valves required

To the OP, if you were to double up your 80's would they be Catalina's or Luxfer's?
Probly the same type of tanks they'd be as singles!

Probly the same type of tanks they'd be as singles!

Obviously.... but I dont think he stated which singles tanks he would be using in regards to manufacturer. :confused:

Bug, I agree with the philosophy that you mentioned earlier about gas matching with your dive buddies. With my usual crowd I am the most efficient with my gas usage, I'm not saying I can hang with you guys but I do okay.
Baby Duck and Rox___ addressed it but to clarify, your reserve is indeed your reserve, but it is also potentially the reserve for any other diver on the team, So your SAC does not matter as pootentially any "third" on the team has to be adequate to get even the biggest hoover on the team safely out of the cave.

So...everybody matches thirds with the diver who has the smallest tanks.

-----

Also, being preoccupied with SAC can create some significant risks.

For example, if a diver abnormally suppresses his/her inhaltion and exhalation cycles to increase penetration and/or to not be the first person to turn the dive, they reach maximum penetration in oxygen debt with elevated CO2 levels and with the potential of using more gas on exit.

Normal respiration is keyed by rising CO2 levels, and if you suppress that urge you decrease inhalation and gas consumption but you also suppress exhalation. Since you produce approx .8L of CO2 for every liter of O2 metabolized, when you decrease your exhalation rate, you retain more CO2. CO2 is itself narcotic at depth so it exacerbates the effects of nitrogen narcosis and it also increases the potential for oxygen toxicity.

So...don't sweat your SAC rate, don't try to hang with the other divers or try to artificially reduce it. If you need more gas, get bigger tanks or carry a stage.

Rox, I have both but didn't think there was a difference. What is it? BTW: as I said before this will be so I can get used to diving doubles before I take the course. When it becomes a necessity to upgrade to larger tanks for the actual cave environment I will do so. I just want to break the learning curve down to manageable tasks some of which I can master before heading to cave country next winter.

That said, is there anyone in the midwest that trains sidemount?

At least for me this has been a very useful thread sooooo...... Thanks again and keep it coming

Rox, I have both but didn't think there was a difference. What is it? BTW: a

Catalinas have more weight on the bottom so the bottom of the tank is less floaty when the tank is near empty. Common issue with Al doubles is the tail getting light and messing up a divers trim.
Use the Catalinas for doubles,the Luxfers for stages.

I guess I left out that I want to get used to diving doubles before I take the courses next winter. I will upgrade my equipment when it becomes a necessity but until that point I want to try and figure out what is what. The side benefit is when we come down for our trip we want to hit the Oriskany or the Spiegel Grove or both. And with those being deeper dives we get more bottom time (I realize it's minimal due to deco stops) but non the less it is more. But until I need to upgrade I just wondered if it was practical to use my AL80s.

Sounds like you need a deco bottle too?!?

Catalinas have more weight on the bottom so the bottom of the tank is less floaty when the tank is near empty. Common issue with Al doubles is the tail getting light and messing up a divers trim.
Use the Catalinas for doubles,the Luxfers for stages.

My catalinas float like corks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom