Edge Epic Regulator or SEA ELITE RX650 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAVIP3R82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking at getting a new reg sys to replace my sea elite sys that I have now. I am looking at the Edge Epic 2012-Yoke System from Divers Supply at this time. Does anyone have any idea if this system is worth buying or not????:confused::confused:

Link below:
Edge Epic Regulator Best Buy with Extras Package

I am also looking at the SEA ELITE RX650 REG PACKAGE as well. I have had good luck with sea elite. but I have been told that they are useless in deep water as well as cold water...
here is the link for the SE:
SEA ELITE RX650 REG PACKAGE

Definitely the edge... And it's sealed which makes it good for cold water.. I have about three of the epics

Here's why I'd go with the Edge also:
Sea Elite products are sold and serviced exclusively through Divers Supply

I'd change the Octo to a name brand for the same reason also.

Edge is the recreational division of HOG (Highly Optimized Gear) which is spoken highly of here. Divers Supply also sells them. They have at least one Yoke model and may be price competitive. Scubatoys also sells Hog.

They have a forum here as well - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/edge-gear/

Most of the Sea-elite regulators are really just Edge/Hog gear with their logo on it. I'd be surprised if there's not an identical model edge regulator (and it seems the edge epic might be it). Go in and look at them side by side, and ask the techs at divers-supply. They'll tell you they're the same regulator I'm sure.

The Enduro line is the same as their low end sea elite regulator. Based on the appearance of the first stage and features described the RX650 and edge epic look the same.

Last edited:
They are not the same. The Epic does not have a swivel turret. Looks can be deceiving. What counts is the internals. I know for a fact as a Edge/HOG technician instructor that the Epic and the Sea Elite noted are not the same reg. The Epic also comes with a swivel on the second stage. And I'd put the Escape octo on the Epic. I have sold a number of these and everyone who has one loves it. I dive an Epic myself on occasion even though I also have a dozen HOG regs in various configurations. My GF dives the EXP and if you are really on a budget I'd take a hard look at it as well.

Hm. It was an assumption on the Edge epic and RX650, but I was told by one of the reg techs that the Edge enduro and low end sea elite are the same internally.

Edit: ahh I see you sell hog/edge equipment. So nice of you to quickly claim superiority of those products. No conflict of interest there.

Last edited:
Come on Jim, they're both made in the same factory along with several other brands, all (good) copies of the same original Apeks, and like Apeks sold with different features.....with or without the dry seal, with or without the turret, with or without an adjustment knob.
It's the reputation and service provided by the manufacturer to the customer (rather than the retailer) that's the biggest difference.....Here's where HOG/Edge beats the competition hands down.
.....sell to your strengths rather than pick hairs.

Come on Jim, they're both made in the same factory along with several other brands, all (good) copies of the same original Apeks, and like Apeks sold with different features.....with or without the dry seal, with or without the turret, with or without an adjustment knob.
It's the reputation and service provided by the manufacturer to the customer (rather than the retailer) that's the biggest difference.....Here's where HOG/Edge beats the competition hands down.
.....sell to your strengths rather than pick hairs.

Sometimes there is more to the story than just the factory where an item is made. For example, Asus (a Taiwanese computer manufacturer) makes products in a wide variety of price ranges. Their more expensive products seem to be better made than their cheaper products, even though they are from the same manufacturer. Foxconn would be another example, the products they make for Apple are much better than the products they make for other manufacturers.

I have some Apeks regs and I also have their Zeagle and Beuchat brothers. There is no difference in quality whatsoever. I am not sure we can say the same about ODS's products. When dealing with contract manufacturers in the far east, the quality of the product really depends on how much you are willing to pay and how well you inspect the goods.

But he's not buying from me is he? He's already chosen a dealer. The factory that makes the regs also allows for those contracting them to make.changes to materials, internal parts, and other features. Such as metal barrels instead of plastic in second stages. Or a different seat material. Or case geometry for better air flow. He can buy any reg he wants. Just pointing out that looks are not always what one should go by or what a salesman in a shop says of their house brand.
Nothing wrong with the Sea Elite regs as long as he takes them back to the only place authorized to service them. That might be a serious consideration if he can't get parts to have them done elsewhere.
And that's another matter to consider. Service. If the regs have torque specs proprietary to them and kits designed for them another kit that looks.like it might work in the hands of someone who.does not know the particular procedures for that reg could have pretty negative results.
I don't know if the stated reports of the SE's not being good in cold water are true. Kinda doubt it. But I know the Edge regs work very well in cold water. The sealed versions have been in sub 40 degree water and had my non sealed in 50 with no issues.
It's no secret I sell them. It's right in my sig line.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom