Edge Epic Regulator or SEA ELITE RX650 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

every report and evaluation i read regarding the Edge Epic would usually be on the far positive side, labeled as best buy, editors choise and so on on websites and magazines.

the only time where the Epic didn't score well was when they put it head to head with regulators like legend from aqualung, xtx200 from apex, there was one of atomic also cant remember the name but it was around $1000-$1500. there were some tech regs also.

so all in all it was not fair comparison since Epic is rec while other tend to be more toward extream diving!!

in terms of features, i find that everything i want in a regulator, I will find in the Epic with a price tag that can't be beaten. i was going to buy one, but since there is no dealer where i live , things like parts availability, service and so on, played a role.

If price is no object I would buy Edge. If price matters, I would buy Edge

If price were no object, I'd get this from DGE:

+ Enlarge
In Stock
Sale!

$169.00
DGX Custom - HOG Regulator

(1st Stage Type?) Cold Water D1 [5-port swivel] Cold Water D2 [Compact 4-port fixed] (Hose Length?) {22 in | 56 cm} Flex Hose {26 in | 66 cm} Flex Hose {30 in | 76 cm} Flex Hose {40 in | 1.0 m} Flex Hose {5 ft | 1.5 m} Flex Hose (+ $10.00) {7 ft | 2.1 m} Flex Hose (+ $10.00) (2nd Stage Type?) Classic, Chrome Classic, All Black Switchback, Right [typical side] Switchback, Left [uncommon side] Zenith, Chrome (+ $10.00)
Dive Gear Express has packaged our double braided flex hoses together with HOG's popular 1st and 2nd stages.

• HOG brand 1st & 2nd stage regulator
  • Factory O2 cleaned for use with Oxygen or Nitrox *
  • Super flexible double-braided hose
  • Your choice of hose length
  • DIN regulator cap & spare DIN o-ring
  • CE certified to EN250 European standards
  • Lifetime warranty from manufacturer *
  • EXCEPTIONAL VALUE FOR THE PRICE
* HOG brand regulators have a Original Owner Limited Lifetime Warranty (with proof of purchase) and All Owners 7 Year Limited Warranty (from original owner purchase or manufacturing date when available) on all non serviceable components.
* HOG brand regulators are Nitrox Ready for use with elevated oxygen applications (100% Oxygen to 2400psi, 80% Oxygen to 3400 psi out of box when new).

And one of these:

EG-712.410.000HOG Classic Second Stage, All BlackIn StockSale!

EG-712.420.008HOG Classic Second Stage, ChromeIn StockSale!
$69.00

Or this:

EG-711.430.000HOG D2 First Stage w/Env Seal, Fixed PortsIn StockSale!
$109.00

I can't speak to both but the Edge Epic is fantastic. I gave HOG and Edge and usually five the Edge bc of the braided house and swivel. It's just more comfortable and breathes the same as my HOGs.

Actually every Atomic breathes identically, the difference is in the materials used. So if you want to spend more than the price of the Edge look at either the Z2 or the Z2X. Atomic Aquatics Z2 Regulator They're either $409 or $509 respectively. Assuming you have an Atomic dealer nearby....They also have a 2 year/300 dive service interval. There's also the new Z3 it has a three year recommended factory service interval. It's $569. Probably by the 2nd service you're money ahead - I pay $60 to service my Atomics locally bi-annually. (or even longer)

It's not clear from your comments but if you're still considering Edge - Scubatoys is an Edge dealer if you want to mail it in for service. They charge $60 + parts. Scuba Regulator Repair - Scuba Annual Service And sell the reg: Edge Epic Regulator discounts on sale EDGE I suggest you call them for the best price possible. Although they'll service it no matter where it's bought.

If not, what brands can you have serviced locally? I'm sure someone here has suggestions in your price range.
If price were no object, I'd get this from DGE:
I'm guessing the OP wants a Yoke. Which one is that in the HOG line now? D3?

I am looking at getting a new reg sys to replace my sea elite sys that I have now. I am looking at the Edge Epic 2012-Yoke System from Divers Supply at this time. Does anyone have any idea if this system is worth buying or not????:confused::confused:

Link below:
Edge Epic Regulator Best Buy with Extras Package

I am also looking at the SEA ELITE RX650 REG PACKAGE as well. I have had good luck with sea elite. but I have been told that they are useless in deep water as well as cold water...
here is the link for the SE:
SEA ELITE RX650 REG PACKAGE

why yoke?

that's like buying a new car that has a gramophone instead of a cd player.

OK, the Epic and the rx650 Sea Elite are not the same reg, the Epic is a higher performer, but truthfully many(most) would not notice that. However the first and second come with a hose and swivel so less assembly and adjustment than a HOG which is sold for tech divers.

the Enduro and the rx330 are really the same, the EDGE Enduro I only bring in for rental regs, some dealers want to sell it, i prefer they sold the EXP, Epic etc. The Enduro is a solid little low maintenance workhorse but is not balanced. You'll note i also have the Enduro in titanium so it lasts forever in rental...

You are seeing some deals for the BP2 because we are moving away from it, I dive the BP2, I have over the years prefered balanced pistons for their gas flow and hose routing, but....the new D3 offers all the same hose routing advantage and has awesome performance. Plus the market has shifted to more diaphragm regs than balanced pistons..in short they didn't sell as well, so mark them down and move them out!

Hope I helped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom