edge, hog, deep6, DGX, Palantic regulator feedback?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baggins_69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
in the process of getting my wife her first set of gear. for various reasons she is unlikely to ever be more than a 60/60 rec diver (might do the very occasional new England dive in 45-50 degree water) and likely will never exceed 20 dives/year (and if she does, YAY! and I will be happy to pay to upgrade later and keep this set for backup/loaner/pony duty).

the Edge, HOG, Deep6, DGX and Palantic regs seem to be very well priced compared to "major" brands such as Mares, Aqualung, Atomic, Apeks, Dive Rite etc.

what is the consensus on these regs? are they well made and safe? suitable for a 60/60 rec diver? any red flags or avoid at all costs brands/models?

Not familiar with the Palantic but the others are solid regs with the Deep6 Signature Series at the top of the group in my opinion.

I Dive with Hog and Deepsix and you just can’t go wrong with either...easy to service, good pricing and quality workmanship.

@MARK SALISBURY what regulators do you use? There is something to be said about having all of your regulators match for convenience during service

I have a circa 2001 Mares MR22 Abyss (not ruby) as my primary with a SRB3400 Sherwood Oasis primary as my octo. the 1st stage and octo from the Sherwood are set up as a pony reg.

no matter what I do I'm going to have a bit of a soup.

but to your point: are any of these brands unlikely to be serviceable at your average dive shop? (my current LDS is primarily Aqualung, but had no issues servicing my gear. I believe they have a contract guy who does the service for several LDSs doing their service work)

in the process of getting my wife her first set of gear. for various reasons she is unlikely to ever be more than a 60/60 rec diver (might do the very occasional new England dive in 45-50 degree water) and likely will never exceed 20 dives/year (and if she does, YAY! and I will be happy to pay to upgrade later and keep this set for backup/loaner/pony duty).

the Edge, HOG, Deep6, DGX and Palantic regs seem to be very well priced compared to "major" brands such as Mares, Aqualung, Atomic, Apeks, Dive Rite etc.

what is the consensus on these regs? are they well made and safe? suitable for a 60/60 rec diver? any red flags or avoid at all costs brands/models?

Mark...

Palantic come out of Taiwan...from a company that for their own ''brand'' purposes use the name ''Aquatec''...

The name of the company is Duton Industry Company...1st stages made in the style of the D1...D2...an open spring chamber model that has the appearance of a ScubaPro MK25...as well as a few others...the second stages come with numerous ''face variations''...and are similar to HOG...and several others...Palantic is only one of many brand names found on these regulators...Duton will re-brand these regulators for anyone...

For value/performance/support/after-sales service...I would suggest DGX Deep Six regulators...you can't go wrong...normal service interval is 24 months...service kits are available from DGX for the DIY divers...or you can just box them up and send them to Mark at DGX for service...

I use them and swear by them...rock solid...single...doubles...sidemount...DGX will custom configure your set to suit your needs...

Best...

Warren

I Dive with Hog and Deepsix and you just can’t go wrong with either...easy to service, good pricing and quality workmanship.
I agree with this statement. I've been diving a Hog D3 1st stage for about 3 years now and have zero complaints. I've logged several dives with it in 50F water and have never had any issues with it whatsoever. I usually dive a ffm so most of my dives have been with that 2nd stage connected but I recently (Christmas) got a Hog Classic 2.0 2nd stage and my first dives with it were in 50F water down to 40+ft and again no complaints about breathability, etc. I've made a few dives using an Atomic Z2 2nd stage and I don't know that you can really call it a breathing "issue" but I've noticed when doing diver recovery drills that when I'm plying the role of the victim, if the rescuer places their hand over the diaphragm, it becomes nearly impossible to breathe. I tested that same scenario myself with my Hog 2nd stage by placing my hand over the diaphragm and it breathed exactly as it would if my hand weren't there. Just my experiences so far.

I can't really comment on the others as I don't have any experience with them but the Deep 6 regs (as with the rest of their gear) seem to be generating a lot of positive buzz lately. Everything I've read to date suggests that they provide great quality products at very competitive prices and I have yet to read any negative feedback.

They are all made in Taiwan. Really comes down to who you want to deal with for customer service. Palantic is worse off in that regard.

If your looking for an entry style system for her without breaking the bank you can’t go wrong with the deep 6 scribble setup. This is what I personally chose for my first rig. The 1st stage is a sealed diaphragm system that is balanced. Just doesn’t have a swivel hose system. The combo pack includes one signature second stage as well.

Deep 6 Scribble 1st + Blue 2nd and Hose

You get the fantastic customer service of deep 6. Parts are extremely easy to get since Deep 6 includes a set of parts for both your 1 and 2nd stages and makes them extremely easy to purchase extra sets if needed. If you feel comfortable enough working on your gear they provide you with everything needed to make that possible. If you don’t you can send them back into deep 6 for a service.

For the price the quality and what your getting is near impossible to beat. If you decide down the road to upgrade as you mentioned you can always step the 1st stage up to deep 6 signature line. Then youll get an additional hose port as well as the swiveling port system as well as a few other upgrades. Hope this helps. Here’s my personal set up atm.

7C423ED7-E6B2-42D9-8730-8609CC7B7D2F.jpeg

I have a circa 2001 Mares MR22 Abyss (not ruby) as my primary with a SRB3400 Sherwood Oasis primary as my octo. the 1st stage and octo from the Sherwood are set up as a pony reg.

no matter what I do I'm going to have a bit of a soup.

but to your point: are any of these brands unlikely to be serviceable at your average dive shop? (my current LDS is primarily Aqualung, but had no issues servicing my gear. I believe they have a contract guy who does the service for several LDSs doing their service work)

it is unlikely that your LDS will be willing to service those regs. They may be able to, but it's a bit up for debate. If you are a more active diver, I would more consider upgrading your current regs to what you want, and giving your wife the regs that you currently have.

Back
Top Bottom