Education on Compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda22

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello
I am about to return to a remote tropical dive resort for a job opportunity and am seriously in need of information on the care and maintenance of scuba air compressors and their storage banks. On my first visit I was made well aware there were some issues with the maintenance of this crucial equipment but I do not have enough awareness of the operation of air compressors to ask the correct questions. My internet searches have provided few answers.

Could someone please point me in the right direction? I want to understand the proper maintenance protocol before anyone is put in a bad air situation under my watch. Thank you.

If you are required to know compressors and banks for your job, why dont you contact Bauer and see when they are running their next course... It is located in Norfolk VA...

Cheers,
Roger

Most compressor manufacturers run such a class, and although tailored to a specific compressor, is also generic enough for you to take anyone's course and be smarter. Mako runs the course through their dealers, Bauer through Bauer in Norfolk, etc. Whatever compressor you have, it would be worth contacting the manufacturer to get info. Ask for the end user class, not the field technician or tech rep class.

Thank you for the responses. The Bauer site shows no training classes on the schedule between now and June 12th, which would be too late for me to attend but I will call them. I am trying to get the make and model. I do believe it is a Bauer. It was definitely a German make.
The resort does have a (non-diver) maintenance person who is responsible for the compressor but I want to be more knowledgeable. I want to be diving 30 years from now and do not want to take any unnecessary risks.

Put an inline CO meter on the compressor!
Its a great start, but compressors make a lot of stuff that'll kill you besides CO.

Good luck- if you thought it was difficult to get information on how to rebuild a regulator.....

I would stock up on a couple of pre-packaged filters before you go, some decent oil (hopefully the compressor was running on synthetic). Packing your own filters isn't hard but getting the required parts can be a right PITA if you're isolated. The BAUER filters are very expensive but the best bet if you're not comfortable DIY.

Other than routine maintenance and being fastidious about keeping the area clean, dust-free and trying to run the comp only when it's cooler, there's not much that a complete beginner to do.... except look for a backup.

Where is this remote location?

I own two compressors (a Bauer and a Schiffer) and I can't repair them myself, but I'm lucky to be in a place where technical assistance is easy to get. I have organized a compressor maintenance course for another person, however, so if I were going to be at a remote area like you are, and I wanted to learn what you want to learn, I'd do a course with this operation, since they will teach when the client needs it rather than running courses at set dates.

Fiji. A small island that is long way from any technical assistance and anything technical turns into a major production.

Do you know the brand and model of compressor there? Are you going to be the sole person responsible for the compressor maintenance?
If you want to minimize your liability keep perfect records of all maintenance and communications between you and the owner. Always e mail your boss for additional maintenance requests. If they refuse the request and something happens you have a record of the refusal and they now own the liability.
If you think you have a problem contact the manufacturer, most are more then willing to help you out over the phone. Also post questions and concerns here and you should get a good response fairly fast.
As for specific maintenance schedules we would need to now the make and model.
Fiji is a warm climate so you will really have to pay attention to the maintenance and not to let it laps.
ZDD

Back
Top Bottom