Eel Attack in Cozumel (The Feeding of Lionfish)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well written blog and food for thought. thanks.. I am a bit of a softy... I have to admit I understand that people are upset by the "invasion" but I would not enjoy a dive where I watched someone systematically killing the creatures... any creatures. It is illegal to spear on scuba here so I don't even see that happening here on dives. We do come across spearfishermen but only rarely.

I agree, feeding the local creatures is not going to make them hunt the Lion fish but to follow a diver waiting for a free meal. I just came back from Bonaire where the practice is to shoot the Lion fish and leave it for the locals to feed on. Bonaire is planning on starting a program wher visiting divers after completing a class will be allowed to hunt the Lion fish.

I agree, feeding the local creatures is not going to make them hunt the Lion fish but to follow a diver waiting for a free meal. I just came back from Bonaire where the practice is to shoot the Lion fish and leave it for the locals to feed on. Bonaire is planning on starting a program wher visiting divers after completing a class will be allowed to hunt the Lion fish.

Like killing off the mosquito population by issuing a fly swatter to each capable person & saying 'git wit it'....

Interesting thread. *whew*

I'm headed to Cozumel again Saturday. I'm curious to see if the eels are still getting frisky, and I'm going to ask the dive shop we're using what their "policy" is on this activity during dives. I'd rather not support it -- I agree that feeding the fish in such a way isn't likely to "develop" a predator of them. That's based on what I know about such things... which is pulled together from a slew of college courses, nothing serious.

As for DM's... they are guides. Similar to a guide of a museum tour. They are there to show you around. Yes, if an emergency happens and they are aware, I would expect they would assist, but they are not there as an underwater lifeguard. They are a guide. Unless of course you've paid them to be your own personal dive buddy and explained to them what your expectations are, and they have agreed. I would say that, then, they should focus on the guiding... be looking for creatures of interest, helping divers find those things, keeping the group together so everyone can enjoy... etc. To stop and engage in a hunt (of any sort), would be like the museum tour guide stopping to do some knitting along the way.

Amy

I had a big green eel come right after me and bounce off my camera lens a couple of years back in Coz. I am glad most are very docile.

Please allow me to jump into the foray.

I have been diving with Joyce as my buddy and will do so again in about 60 days. I have always been impressed with her attention to safety prior to and during a dive. We go over every inch of our gear so that each of us are well aware of anything in case of an emergency. I trust her underwater completely.

I disagree with the killing of lionfish as bait for other animals. It is well known that the divemasters on Little Cayman stopped killing Lionfish on the north side because of the issues with sharks coming in and taking them from the divemasters and the related safety issues with the guests.

In my humble opinion, there was not a DM on the dive with Joyce and her group. There was a paid Lionfish killer employed by the shop underwater with her. I would not expect the DM to be there to assist me in my situation, but I would think the DM should at least be somewhat observant of the situation so as to warn others at a later date of a potential issue in the area. Yes, we are responsible for our own safety.

I do appreciate Joyce amending her initial comments to take the word "emergency" out of her ascent. Had I been the one to have been bitten, I would have done exactly the same thing, that is I would have safely gone to the surface to assess the situation. I do not have any experience regarding underwater injuries and how severe they may or may not be. I am not an ER Doc so I don't know all of the things that are assumed I should know. Just get me somewhere I am familiar with, above water, and let me figure it out.

Last time I checked, I can call a dive for any dadgum reason I choose. I'm tired, I'm cold, I'm bored, I want a beer, my gear isn't working like I think it should, I want to sit by the pool, I don't have to have a reason, I just want to get out. Yes, I would perform a safety stop for any of these reasons.

The few times I have had a small cut, like pinching my hand closing the tank strap, yes, I am clumsy, it seems like I bleed far more underwater than above, even though I assume that is not the truth, it just seems that way.

I have no experience getting bit by an eel and hope I never do. I can only assume that twenty puncture wounds on your hand and arm sure look like you are bleeding a whole lot. Go to the surface and figure it out.

So yeah, I think it is a dumb idea to kill Lionfish and feed them to the other crtters. And yeah, I don't think there was a DM on that dive, only a paid Lionfish killer who could have been more observant.

I have experience diving with Joyce and if you did, I can guarantee you that you would not question her actions. Maybe her choice of words was incorrect initially, but I guarantee you her actions were first rate. She did the right thing. Call the dive and figure it out later. And I bet if it ever happened to most of you, you would do exactly the same thing.

Joyce, glad to know you are fine. I'll take a look at the scars and get the whole story soon.

It is easy to sit back and armchair quarterback these things. I have enjoyed many of the comments back and forth. Let him in glass houses cast the first stone comes to mind with me.

My mother always told me that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. But in the south, we always add "God Bless Her or Him" to everything and then it is okay. "She sure has put on a lot of pounds after that last baby, God Bless Her". "He can't help his looks with his parents, God Bless Him."

I'm done. Enjoy your dive. Good day.

Dan Rather reports had a story about the lion fish on HD Net not too long ago and showed a shark that had tried to eat a lionfish and as soon as it went in his mouth, the shark spit it out. I don't think that feeding them to eels and groupers will make them become preditors of the lion fish. BTW, The report from Dan Rather was great! I encourage anyone to watch if they get the chance.

Dan Rather reports had a story about the lion fish on HD Net not too long ago and showed a shark that had tried to eat a lionfish and as soon as it went in his mouth, the shark spit it out. I don't think that feeding them to eels and groupers will make them become preditors of the lion fish. BTW, The report from Dan Rather was great! I encourage anyone to watch if they get the chance.

Can you post the link here please?:D

I'm thinking we're going to see "Diver shot with speargun", "I swear he looked just like a lionfish!" headlines. Seriously actually. :)

The devices that are approved for use do not leave the DM's hand, they are not free projectiles and don't have a trigger. On the flip side, every spearo(a) I dive with is deadly accurate. If they 'shot' you, they meant too.

Besides the DM comments, it's still hasn't been answered how close the diver was to the reef, giving the eel striking capability?

Back
Top Bottom