Effect of Color

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a group from the UK that did a similar experiment in 1987. They reported some interesting results in a paper published in UHMS. Here's a link to the article. Read it if you get the chance. I'm not sure if I agree with some of their conclusions, though. The authors discussed some follow-up studies to help explain how various manufacturing methods imparting color affect the buoyancy of the resulting neoprene material. They said that they were never gonna give up until they found the mechanism.

Herk Man,
THIS IS A SERIOUS RESPONSE.

As it happens, I know a fair amount about manufacture of foam laminated products, both from manufacturing experience, and from extensive conversations with my ex-father-in-law (a double PhD) who devised the foam formulations and process that helped found the lamination industry.

It would not be unusual for different colors to be sourced from different bonders. So, the answer might be as simple as that, since no 2 machines (even in the same plant) produce absolutely equal products. Also, there might be minute differences in the actual thickness of the foam.

But, assuming that he same machine if used for all colors and black, the answer becomes a bit more complicated. I doubt that the actual physical weight of the pigment would give the disparity you recorded. However, the addition of a different color pigment to the yarn, assuming it was vat dyed, could cause a bit more stiffness in the surface fabric, thus causing differences in compressibility.

I am sure that you know that to produce bonded fabric, a 3 layer sandwich is run at very high speed over heated rollers. My thought is that, if no adjustment is made to the temperature for color, that the black fabric would absorb more of the heat causing a slightly greater melting of the bonding foam. This would "collapse" a greater number of the foam's pockets leading to a reduction in buoyancy. OR NOT.

Interesting problem.

Herk Man : could you detail how the study was conducted? methodology, samples...

All I know at the moment is that divers wearing black suits tend to require less weights :eyebrow:

Herk Man : could you detail how the study was conducted? methodology, samples...

All I know at the moment is that divers wearing black suits tend to require less weights :eyebrow:

Well, they do say black is very slimming.

It would be interesting to see if color-related buoyancy characteristics are also impacted by loss of color due to depth.

For example, in green water, a red wetsuit appears black very fast as you descend. The same suit in blue will keep its color a bit longer. Will the red suit properties get closer to the black suit as you descent? Or will it stays the same as the blue?

If the first hypothesis is true, then this has serious safety repercussions: a buddy accidentally illuminating a diver in a red suit with a bright light could cause an unexpected change in buoyancy and send him in an uncontrolled ascent to the surface.

Well, I'm off to a baseball game so I'll wish you all a happy April Fool's Day! I think that several of the more serious sounding posts were just playing along, but in case you were thinking of heading to the pool to conduct your own tests, you can stand down.

Moderators, you probably ought to lock or delete this thread so it doesn't somehow spark a Pilot Fish outbreak some time down the road.

Been fun!

Anyone want to buy a Pogue carburator? Cheep?

Man, you got me tank, reg, and fins! (or hook, line, and sinker, if you will) The scientist in me jumped in with both feet and I didn't even think what day it was. Good one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom