Effects of Iraq Conflict on Asia...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DailyLunatic

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Without starting anything about the politics surrounding the Iraq conflict I would like to see a thread started that discusses issues regarding travel in Asia.

Things like, problems at customs, encounters on the street with locals, etc.

I'm not traveling for a while, but would like to get a feel for the area.

Thanking you in advance.

:creeper:

For now, it seems life goes on as usual. I don't see too much difference yet, except that if you are flying an American carrier or are flying to the United States/Canada, you have to go through extra security measures like manual searches and taking off your shoes. I'm all for extra security, but the shoe thing is kind of dumb if you ask me.

Gas prices are on the way up. We have travel advisories out for much of the SE Asia region, but I've been to Indonesia after 911 and the Bali bombing, and felt perfectly safe. But then again, I'm not blonde haired and blue eyed, if that makes any difference. Bombs are color blind. There are less non-Asian visitors but the ones that are around look like they are having a great time.

I have a business trip coming up next month to the US and Canada, and am more worried about safety in North America than here.

I think everybody over here is more concerned with the SARS disease that started in Hong Kong. And then, there's North Korea....

Pray for peace....to whatever god you believe in.

I live in Thailand and feel safer here than anywhere else I have been. We have had several concerned emails from our customers asking about the war, or the SARS problem.

The WHO has given Thailand a clean bill of health with regards to SARS.

The war is a long way from here and Thai people are still smiling as always and have no hate for Americans. However, you can always do the old Maple Leaf trick - stick a Canadian flag on your bag so they think you are Canadian.

Happy Travels.

I live in Singapore, nothing much happens here. Apart from what shanhai says about SARS, which is quite a hot topic here nowadays. Many singapore divers have started to dive in malaysia, as the monsoon is over.

The war is a long way from here and the effects of it, can only be felt after some times here.

Happy Travels and enjoy your Day.

I felt that in general most places are just as equally safe and equally unsafe, depending to where exactly you are.

I am heading to Bali next week for a week, diving. It is my 2nd trip there in 3 months. While my friends here are harping on the safety etc etc, AND the fact that they were hit by a double bomb blast, it doesn't mean that the entire islands is off limits.

Just watch where you go. I will be avoiding certain nightspots and area, where I think retaliation could take place. Other than that I am fine.

I try to blend in with the locals as much as I can and asked to be so. That is my style of travel since my backpacking days and will always be.

The only consolation that i take in the paranoid of others is that with lower demand, the prices of airfare (i am paying less than 50% of what was the pre-bomb prices), hotels and activties have been more down to earth. AND that I can afford it.

If I am due to go. I am due to go. It is in the hands of the Divine one.

Yes I think that there shouldn't be any issues in visiting the region. My main concern (I live in Singapore) is the number of glights being cancelled these days due to the war

Snoopy once bubbled...
I felt that in general most places are just as equally safe and equally unsafe, depending to where exactly you are.

I am heading to Bali next week for a week, diving. It is my 2nd trip there in 3 months. While my friends here are harping on the safety etc etc, AND the fact that they were hit by a double bomb blast, it doesn't mean that the entire islands is off limits.

Just watch where you go. I will be avoiding certain nightspots and area, where I think retaliation could take place. Other than that I am fine.

I try to blend in with the locals as much as I can and asked to be so. That is my style of travel since my backpacking days and will always be.

The only consolation that i take in the paranoid of others is that with lower demand, the prices of airfare (i am paying less than 50% of what was the pre-bomb prices), hotels and activties have been more down to earth. AND that I can afford it.

If I am due to go. I am due to go. It is in the hands of the Divine one.

Bravo snoopy couldn't agree with you more.
Enjoy your trip to BALI.

Only effect I have seen is that its blocked the sports coverage on CNN and BBC because they seem to giving it so much air time.

Iraq has only affected the TV and print bmedia coverage. SARS is a consideration further south though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom